Cleaning up Bricks After Pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished re pointing my chimney, most of it looks fine, however there are a few areas were I got a little pointing mix on the bricks. Is there a way of getting this off? I thought of buffing it off with a wire brush but that would clean the old bricks too and I would end up having to do the entire chimney. Someone has mentioned an acid wash? Is there such a thing?

Sponsored Links
It's available at builders merchants, sold as brick cleaner. It's hydrochloric acid.

another way of doing it is to rub the face with a harder brick than the ones you have used

Sponsored Links
The chances are you are to close to the job & know & can see the poor part.. When you look in a few weeks time, you will wonder why you wanted to clean it, although I can understand why you want it corrected.

Thanks for all your help the acid worked very well, everything looks great, even the long haired management (my wife) was impressed with the finnish.

saffer said:
I have just finished re pointing my chimney, most of it looks fine, however there are a few areas were I got a little pointing mix on the bricks. Is there a way of getting this off? I thought of buffing it off with a wire brush but that would clean the old bricks too and I would end up having to do the entire chimney. Someone has mentioned an acid wash? Is there such a thing?
there are chemicals obtainable from builders merchants for this, one is 'disclean' . read instructions and followcarefully as this is a mild acid. never use a wire brush. unless the staining is really bad or in a sheltered position the weather and frost will clean the wall in time.

I have the same problem but, in my case, I'm using a black mortar dye on a red brick wall. There is a signficiant amount of smearing (mostly because this is my first wall and I'm rubbish at pointing). The wall looks fantastic :D - though I'm only on course 5 of 12 but I'm properley worried about how much of this smearing is going to remain prevalent once the job is finished. :confused:

I noticed someone posted Disclean which is currently retailing about £21 incl delivery. Will it be effective in ridding the dyed mortar smears?

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back