Face Plate Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I need some help.

Essentially I have broken this myself but it should be easy to fix but I am really struggling. Yesterday I was trying my rooter in different telephone sockets around the house and then compared the speed I got with the master (test) socket. I have done this before with no problems but yesterday when removing the faceplate I pulled the wires out from the IDC connectors by mistake (wasn’t hard to do). So essentially the faceplate is completely removed but of course the master socket works fine along with the secondary socket on the external side of the faceplate (not sure what this one is called).

After researching online I have tried to rewire it and it really shouldn’t be so difficult but it is just not working. I have to admit I tried some combinations of rewiring before researching properly passing wires into the wrong pin shouldn’t cause any problems should it?

Anyway here is what I have done now. I have 4 wires as expected which are coloured as followed:

Orange/white
White/orange
Blue/white
White/blue

This would appear to be standard and I have now connected the blue/white wire into pin 2 and the white/blue wire into pin 5 which I believe is the correct combination. I have left pin 4 unconnected because I am under the impression it is not used and only connected usually for neatness. I have also left pin 3 unconnected because I understand this is just the bell/ring and is no longer used/not needed for modern telephones and leaving it unconnected and even improve the internal single.

Now when I connected a phone into any telephone socket around the house the phone appears to get power and you can hear the button tones when they are pressed. They behave similar to devices which are running on dying batteries. It’s quite strange. Cannot make or receive calls from them and I have not tried plugging in my rooter as it seems obvious it will not work either. All phones are working so it’s not a phone OR a filter issue.

I’m sure the problem lies with either the faceplate or my wiring. I understand it’s possible that it could be other wires are the a/b combo and not the ones I have used but if so they how do I tell? Leaving pin 3 and pin 4 unconnected should not make a difference and there should be no need to reconnect these? Is it possible the faceplate is dead? If so where should I get a new one?

Before I ran out of wire so soldered new wire on to extend it but I’m right in saying this should not have done anything if done correctly? I have since switch to a terminal block as shown in image.

Please also note that before when trying different combinations of wire connections I managed to get the phones working but the rooter would not dsl sync and I have rewired again (and can’t remember the combination I used). Also managed to get all the phones to ring once connected :D. I guess powered the bell some.

My master socket is the older version of the NTE 5 A and is not an ADSL plate. Also I do not wish to purchase an ADSL filter faceplate. Please see the images below.

under_faceplate.jpg

faceplate.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do or what the problem is? At the moment I am thinking of just trying a new faceplate but don’t know where I can buy one from that will fit my model (buying online is an option but slow).

Thanks in advance guys. Help a n00b out. :D

Sponsored Links
This would appear to be standard and I have now connected the blue/white wire into pin 2 and the white/blue wire into pin 5 which I believe is the correct combination.

I am no telecom's expert but that as far as I know is the right combinations.

Are you sure you do not have loose connections?

The blue pair to 2 and 5 is the correct combination, however this assumes that the other sockets in your house are wired in this way.
Open the other sockets and look inside - could be that someone has wired them differently.

What are you using to insert the wires into the terminals?

Open the other sockets and look inside - could be that someone has wired them differently.

Sometimes done when a pair goes faulty (damaged cable etc.) and it's a quick fix to just swap the line to another pair in the cable.

Sponsored Links
I did as you said and now I have got it wired up and the phones work. Had to go through a few extensions though as they are all wired different from one another but I found one with the same wire and used that as the example and now the phones can make calls and I am assuming I can receive them also.

However now when I plug in my rooter it won’t connect. It can’t sync the DSL (don’t know if that is the right term of not). Light flashes as it tries to connect then stop as it has failed. Tried in multiple extensions but non work. Any reason for this? I have left pin 4 and 3 unconnected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back