Detecting current in twin plus earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that one can use a current clamp meter to measure current in a single conductor, but is there anyway to measure current in twin plus earth without disconnecting it or cutting it?

Thanks

M.

Sponsored Links
well if you loosen the accesory box you can use a mini clamp meter and clip it around one of the live conductors, i have done this to test immersion heaters inside the switched spur, otherwise outside say a twin & earth the answer is no

Sponsored Links
I wonder how it does that?

"Unlike conventional clamp meters, the Megger MMC850 Multi-core Clamp Meter has a complex array of planer magnetic sensor coils to calculate the current flowing in the conductors of multicore cables with either 2 cores or 3 cores, and in either flat or round section cable, up to 100 A. The convenience and potential time saving from using the Megger Multi-Core Clamp is considerable."

?

must admit i havent seen one of these, does anyone know how accurate the reading it gives is?

must admit i havent seen one of these, does anyone know how accurate the reading it gives is?

Not sure of the accuracy but at up to £145 each + £25 for a calibration cert, they are not for the DIYer.

I don't think Megger would lie so consult the MI online, someone might do it for you.
They claim that it has a resolution of 0.1A and an accuracy of 5% + 10d, such that it is 'reasonable' for currents in the range 2A - 100A, but pretty useless for currents <2A.

I've seen talk of these before, and must say that I'm rather intrigued by the described technology, and rather surprised that it can give anything approaching accurate results; at the least, I would have expected it to be very orientation-sensitive.

Kind Regards, John

i wasnt saying megger would lie i just meant how accurate is reading as the jaws have a centralising bit and wondered how critical it would be to have a true reading on a flat twin & earth cable, has anyone used it?

Just knocked this together in my workshop

59f5d298.jpg

:D

Just knocked this together in my workshop

59f5d298.jpg

:D

That is brilliant, thanks for going to the trouble and to think I couldn't even be bothered to do a google for the MI.

I have a question are all of the instuments "in calibration"? Oh and I can't read the left hand one. :oops:

Thanks Martin

PS we'll have to think of more things for you to knock up and photo - your experiments are one of the best things about this forum - that someone is prepared to do something practical to add to a discussion. Well Done

Unfortunately none of the instruments are calibration. I have never needed a clamp meter that is bang on accurate, so con't justify £40 a year on it.

The load was a 500W halogen lamp, so the readings are possibly a little on the low side, but they are near enough.

The meter on the left says 1.9A too. It's my meter I use at work and has got quite sratched so is a little difficult to read in the picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back