New Boiler - No Powerflush or Magnaclean

Lets assume you do have a condensing boiler!

All the normal flues that I have seen have a built in slope for the inner part! If you look at the flue you should be able to see this.

Sloping the outside of the flue risks getting rainwater into the air inlet!

Done properly a chemical clean is usually adequate. But when done properly the water should also look pretty clear!

Tony
Have you ever installed a boiler before? Your talking rubbish man!

Sponsored Links
MOST manufacturers understand that but there are still a few who still say it needs to be at a slope of 3 degrees back to the boiler.

If the MI say 3 degrees then that constitutes GSIU regulation and I see no way out of it.

I am sure a price an installer quotes will be reasonable as far as the installer is concerned, but not necessarily what the homeowner accepts as reasonable.

WRT cleaning the system, or for that matter any other bolt on service, I would CERTAINLY fit a boiler to a dirty system if the homeowner chooses to ignore my advice that the system should be cleaned and he/ she is informed that system warranty will be compromised if system water poor. It does not make me a bad installer as Tony implies,

In this case the installer listed a sludge remover and an inhibitor on the Benchmark Certificate yet the water was still black according to the householder.

I conclude that either he did no cleaning at all or just did not do it properly.

Chemical cleaning is mostly capable of excellent results if done properly. Power flushing is often quicker on a very dirty system and has to be the way to make a system cleanest although very rarely essential.

I suppose that as I can pick and choose my jobs and like to work for those who want the job done properly then it makes me happy not to work for those who dont want to pay to get it done properly.

However, because of the way that I quote, I usually give the same price regardless of what water treatment is required on any individual case. Effectively I average out the costs over a number of jobs. I fully guarantee the work against any problem from dirt in the system.

I mostly do that because that enables me to give prices over the phone without wasting time going to make 10 quote visits which will only result in doing one job. My aim is to quote reasonable prices without wasting time making fruitless visits to "quote collectors". In many cases I can now get photos sent to me which makes a visit even less important.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Did he offer you a chemical flush or power flush check your quote and check what wb advise, i would fit a magna clean on the return closest to the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back