Yale PIR flashes with new batteries?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys..
I've got Yale alarm system.
One PIR flashed red and the control unit said it needed new batteries.

I went and bought rechargable batteries, I fully charged them, each are 1.2v

I put them in the PIR, It flashed fast for 30 seconds then I mounted it.

I tried the walk test and found it detected me but from close range.

After I disarmed the system, I noticed the PIR flashes red whenever I pass by it. This usually happens when the PIR needs batteries, but the Control unit didn't show any fault!

I removed the PIR from the system and added it again, but it still flashes red whenever I pass by it.

Other PIRs don't flash red when someone pass by them.

Could you please advise?

Sponsored Links
Isnt that normal for a pir to flash showing that its opened a Nc circuit, dont maul me if im wrong but on a wired sytem most pirs flash a led to show that its opened the ciruit ( eg caught someone ) . As long as it works i wouldnt worry.

Yaleguy will know await his reply.

1, Rechargeables are not suitable for Yale or most wireless systems.
2, See above.
3, LED might need disabling.
4, See 1 and 2.

Probably need to be good quality (maybe) Duracell type 1.5v...

Sponsored Links
Hi,

A few points here..

First I am going to assume your system is a 6300 or 6400 ie the white square control panel and the yellow circular siren.

I would not use rechargables as they will drain quicker than a normal battery , also do not use duracells as unfortunately their wider positive posts don't make a good contact in the battery holders.
Any other alkaline AAA battery will do nicely. I usually use Maplins long life batteries but then I am buying the boxes that mean each battery works out at 25p. Those batteries are ideal though and give no problems and a normal sevice life.

Secondly be sure you understand the flashes you are recieving.

The sensors should flash red when they detect movement for a few times.

They are then designed not to flash as they go into sleep mode. This saves battery life. If they don't detect movement for one minute then they will flash again when they detect movement.

The sensors operating normally in this way will flash momentarily.

If the batteries are getting low you will get an indication at the control panel saying battey low and the identity of the sensor. You will also get the orange fault light and 30second warning beep.

When the sensors detect movement in battery low condition the red light will flicker for an extended period of a few seconds to alert you the batteries are low , not just a momentary flash.

The reason your other sensors arent flashing as you expect them to is because you have likely mounted them too high.

You cannot put them right up at ceiling height they need to be around where you can reach furthest with your arms when standing next to the wall. If you cannot stand with your feet on the floor and just touch the pir when stretching then it is too high and wont pick up movement as designed.

To test the sensors again 'wake up' the sensor by pushing the little white learn button and then walk around and see if the light flashes or alternatively set the panel to walk test and see if you hear the beep at the panel confirming the sensor is picking up movement.

As I mentioned you have probably mounted the pirs too high.

If the pir is flashing all the time, refit the lid. the tamper isnt settled correctly.
Yale say to fit as high as possible, although 7-8ft is an ideal height.

If it was a tamper it would say so on the lcd fault log.

It doesn't appear to be registering any fault.

Personally unless the device has been accidentaly removed from the system i susoect it is operating fine - hence no fault codes.

As for the other sensors not flashing that is down either to them being in sleep mode (press the learn button on them to wake them and try moving in front of them again) or more likely they are simply mounted too high.

They can be kept in the same high location but just need angling down a few degrees.

Personally unless the device has been accidentaly removed from the system i susoect it is operating fine - hence no fault codes.

Exactly, the indication is a tamper from the decvice.
If unenrolled the panel would not see the "fault"

Exactly, the indication is a tamper from the decvice.
If unenrolled the panel would not see the "fault"

..but the gentleman said he relearnt the device into the system . . . so presuming that it is in the system then lets just say for some reason the signals aren't reaching the panel.

In which case as you say a tamper fault would not be sent to the panel.
What happens then is the panel instead reports that the device is missing.

The fault ''X' device not working' comes up in that case.

Alarm , you have almost got there with the system , a few slight anomolies to smooth out yet. I am beggining to suspect you have started to install them perhaps for you local authority and vunerable housing association tennants or similar groups perhaps.
In these days of cost cutting you would be surprised.

You on drugs?

Would never fit the stuff if my life depended on it. Would rather turn the job away.

Err if it had been taken out of the system it would not be shown as device missing as it would have been told to ignore that device, and programming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back