pipework for central heating - is this work OK?

Easy to be an internet advisory god from afar but, Lord, covering the dents with Gaffa tape. Can it get any worse?

Pretty much agree with everyone else. No easy way out - not even sure I'd go through the courts - they probably won't be there at the end anyway. Wouldn't pay them a bean, mind. They can sue you!

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't pay them a bean, mind. They can sue you!

That's why you need the independent survey.

I have been given some great advice by the IPHE (they have seen the photos) and it is now ongoing so should have more info over the next few days or so.
Again - thank you to all who confirmed my doubts and galvanised me into action.
I will keep you informed.

Sponsored Links
Good luck PipG, I do hope it all turns out well for them and you. :cool:

Are the CIPHE acting as your technical consultant or just being helpful without direct involvement?

If not then presumably they suggested one of their members for you?

Tony

Are the CIPHE acting as your technical consultant or just being helpful without direct involvement?

If not then presumably they suggested one of their members for you?

Tony

Sorry - I explained that badly. The CIPHE gave me a member to contact and that member has seen the photos and been extremely helpful. The advice was to initially go through OFTEC and request a site inspection. Failing that, go back to the IPHE member although visits and reports would be very expensive for my parents.
Re. OFTEC - t seems that "poor or abysmal" pipework is not a Health and Safety issue nor a Building Regs issue and does not have its own standards body. Recommendations have been Trading Standards/Consumer Direct under the Sale of Goods and Services Act re. lack of care and skill - the supplier has not used reasonable care and skill in this installation.
I have been pointed (by the IPHE member) in another possibly promising direction and will find out next Monday if this is a route to follow.
The difficulty I have is getting people to understand that my parents do not want a price reduction, do not want to go to court, do not want this matter to drag on and on - they want a professionally installed working central heating system, and one where - if a pipe clanks or a radiator gurgles, they do not have to stand in horrified abject terror that all hell is about to break loose. And if the wallpaper springs an extra leaf in the pattern - it is a rogue grandchild and not downpipe number 7 springing a leak.
In general - all the technical people I have spoken to have expressed concern upon seeing the photos and are trying help - so I will definitely keep you informed.

It should be noted that copper pipework should be adequately protected against bricks and mortar, else it could lead to corrosion of the copper. It doesnt look like this has been done, so it may all need pulling out, and protecting. Cheap MVs and ABV also stink of cost cutting.
Obviously the pipework is an absolute abortion but thats already been noted.
Also I don't know what output that boiler is, i dont do oil so dont recognise it, but it would appear to have 22mm flow and return, perhaps and oil bod can confirm if this is adequate?

It should be noted that copper pipework should be adequately protected against bricks and mortar, else it could lead to corrosion of the copper. It doesnt look like this has been done, so it may all need pulling out, and protecting. Cheap MVs and ABV also stink of cost cutting.
Obviously the pipework is an absolute abortion but thats already been noted.
Also I don't know what output that boiler is, i dont do oil so dont recognise it, but it would appear to have 22mm flow and return, perhaps and oil bod can confirm if this is adequate?

Worcester Bosch 32/50 Greenstar Utility oil fired with tiger loop, 27" immersion heater and 20 x Quinn double convector rads mostly large

so potentially 50kw? I would have said that needs 28mm Primaries. Obviously im only speculating its 22mm from pictures, I cant see for sure.

Since my last post I contacted Trading Standards and issued notification to the central heating installer that action against them had been initiated due to lack of skill and care re. the installation.
They immediately agreed to remove all the pipework and start again.
I won't bore you all with some of the explanations given.
The initial pipework had now been removed and I have added photos of the new pipework and would appreciate your views.
The pipes are shown with white plastic restraining the pipes - these plastic strips are to be removed and the pipes wrapped in felt (or similar ?) then the plastic restrainers will be replaced.
I have told this company that each stage must be photographed before any floorboards are replaced or any wrapping done.
The senior plumber actually suggested that the test run of the boiler could be done after the pipes had been wrapped. The tech. director jumped in and said the test should be done before pipe wrapping but I believe that conversation was purely for my benefit and they would happily have wrapped them and tested afterwards.
Anyway - we have absolutely no confidence in any work this company does but Trading Standards say they must be given an opportunity to rectify the situation.
Once again - your opinions on this new work would be greatly appreciated.

You can tell the installers that I've got a load of old T-shirts that they can use to sling over and hide their attempts of rectified pipe-work :rolleyes:

Why not surface pipework, don't like the idea of buried pipes in plaster, would heat from pipes cause cracking of plaster, you will have problem in future.

Why don't you have surface pipes, it can be box over? Do it in 15mm.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back