BT PHONE LINES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two lines running from the grey bt box outside the house. they run to two different locations in the house and have the bt master sockets on the end of each of them. Only one is actually active and working. having looked behind the bt grey outside box, the working line is connected to the white and blue wires, but the one that does not work is connected to white and orange. I know its not strictly legal but could I link both of the cables running to the bt master sockets, from the same working white and blue cables? ie connect a sort of Y arrangement so that both master sockets then work? Or will this effect the function of the telephone line? Basically instead of running extensions from the working socket, I would be joining prior to the master sockets instead. this would be much easier as the master socket is already set up in my study, and i would then not have to run cables all around the house. any comments would be gratefully recieved! I have the gel special connectors that bt use one main incomer, so it would be good job, just not legal! Should I leave well alone, or make the join? thanks ged

Sponsored Links
make the connection, ;) but one of the master sockets should really be changed for an extension socket ie no components inside

It will work as far as the telephones are concerned, and BT itself would sometimes employ such an arrangement in the past when it was convenient, but be aware that if you have DSL service the bridge tap you'll create by doing that could adversely affect the signal.

It will work as far as the telephones are concerned, and BT itself would sometimes employ such an arrangement in the past when it was convenient, but be aware that if you have DSL service the bridge tap you'll create by doing that could adversely affect the signal.
Thanks. Sorry, does this mean that my broadband will not work properly? Should I just use an extension from the working master socket and forget about joining the incoming cables?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, does this mean that my broadband will not work properly?

It will still work, it's just that the performance might suffer a little so you might not get quite the same speed. Depending upon several other variables though, you may not notice any difference.

Sorry, does this mean that my broadband will not work properly?

It will still work, it's just that the performance might suffer a little so you might not get quite the same speed. Depending upon several other variables though, you may not notice any difference.
Thanks again for you good advice. One last thing, someone else says that I should change one of the master sockets to a basic type. Is this necessary?
Cheers, Ged

One last thing, someone else says that I should change one of the master sockets to a basic type. Is this necessary?
Cheers, Ged
It is preferable as a test from the exchange might give a bad result if there are two masters on the line

Your best option is to run new internal wiring from the working master to where you want the other socket.

Depending on where you want the the ADSL socket ( for the router / modem ) you may need to think about a filtered front plate on the master ( assuming it is an NTE 5 ) with separate cables to phone and modem sockets.

The cables from the grey BT box to the 2 master sockets will have spare (unused) wire pairs at the moment.
Disconnect the non-working cable from the incoming BT line.
From the working master socket 2&5 contacts, use one of those pairs to come back to the grey box and gel-crimp them to the pair in the cable leading to the non working socket. Change the second socket to an extension socket.
That will give you what you have asked for.
(Modern phones do not need contacts 3&4)

However, if the existing cables from the grey box to the sockets have 6 wires(3 pairs) you could maximise your broadband arrangements.
Change the existing working master socket for an NTE5 with filtered face plate. (£10) From the FRONT face plate, use one pair from 2&5 contacts to come back to the grey box and gel crimp them to a pair of the wires in
the cable to the extension and another pair from the broadband A&B connections on the face plate likewise to another pair in the cable to the second socket. Replace the second socket with a new socket for Phone and ADSL jack outlets (£6) connected respectively.
You would then have filtered phone sockets and ADSL sockets in both rooms.
Use proper tools for the connections. (£4)

The cables from the grey BT box to the 2 master sockets will have spare (unused) wire pairs at the moment.
Disconnect the non-working cable from the incoming BT line.
From the working master socket 2&5 contacts, use one of those pairs to come back to the grey box and gel-crimp them to the pair in the cable leading to the non working socket
Sorry but that is NOT good advice.

The grey box is BT ( OpenReach ) property and they may in the future modify it, may be use it and one of the spare pairs feeding it to provide service to a nearby house. They will see your DIY work on the spare pair in their box and disconnect it. They may even loop the DIY pair from your NTE 5 making your phone line un-usable until you realise what has happened and remove the DIY connection in the back of you NTE 5

Agreed ;) ;)
And then you would need to do it properly and cough up for exorbitant charges, or perhaps tea & biscuits.
By the way--it is not illegal--only in breach of terms of supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back