Fire Detector & Alarm tipping Emergency Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I was wondering, I asked an electrician if he could add some emergency lights in my home, but not only to come on in the event of a power failure, but also is the fire/smoke alarms went off (Aico Ei Range) but also in the burglar alarm went off (Texecom Prem 24).

I was looking also as a future plan - that if the burglar alarm went off also to turn on some external lighting, as I already have 2 pir floods, and 1 stand alone pir - light.

He was not sure this was possible, I was wondering if anyone else on here had any ideas how either could be done either together, or as a single job!

Cheers Daz.

Sponsored Links
hi elmdene do a mains switching unit which can be triggered from your alarm can switch up to 3amp/240v it also has a timer built in.

Yes it can be done.

Aico do an interface module which is wired into your smoke detector circuit as if it were a normal detector, and this provides you with a set of dry contacts for switching what ever you like.

The alarm would need a relay connecting to it, but it's easy enough to do, and then it's just a case of linking the relays together and then to the light(s) you want switching.

Pretty straight forward job.

Sponsored Links
if all the emg lights are maintained then you can make them come on without removing their power (makes battery life longer and makes them stay on till system is reset)

assuming the emergency lights are maintained then do the following to each emergency light...
get some Twin and earth, connect the brown to L1 (L1 will charge the battery when live and cause the light to come on when dead) and connect the blue to L2 (l2 will illuminate the light when live regardless of L1's status)
run all these wires to one location and combine all the brown wires together and all the blue wires together using a junction box or something and connect another wire so you just have one brown and one blue (that connect to all the lights)

then simply wire the brown wire to the COM of a suitably rated relay or contractor and the blue wire to the NO (normally open)

connect a wire to the coil and wire it to your fire alarm or intruder alarm.

hope this helps. i know i make it sound complicated but it is really not. if you need a further explanation i will draw you a diagram :)

- luke

here you go:

iVttt.jpg

if you need a diagram for non maintained lights then let me know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back