Conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can I use blue 25mm water pipe as conduit for lighting cables?

Thanks.

J

Sponsored Links
Physically, yes, but don't do it. In the future someone will come along, see a water pipe, and cut through it without realising there are cables inside.

Sponsored Links
Lets hope its not to run cables up the garden :mad:
I feel sure that two or three decades ago, burying T&E in plastic pipe/conduit was widely 'recommended' - do I take it that this was compliant with old editions of the regs?

If so, whilst one can understand the argument for the change to today's more demanding requirements, I can't help but wonder whether the risk that has been addressed by these changes is 'theoretical' or actually 'observed' - i.e. has anyone heard of any cases of people coming to harm as a result of damage to cables buried in that 'old' fashion? There obviously is 'a risk', but I wonder if it's actually greater than the risk of crossing a road or driving a few miles (both of which are allowed :) )

Kind Regards, John.

Yep - Its cause some is laying around on site. Its for light switches.

The wall is Timber frame with Insulation within the stud.

The Spark I had in to quote said he didn't need to put any Conduit in, " your drill isn't going to stop if there is a bit of conduit in the way now is it."

I then spoke to Xtratherm, who said that I must use conduit when using insulation within stud. Presumably to do with the cables getting hot?

Has the Spark not though it out, or is it Xtratherm being over zealous?

Cheers

James.

SNM - Would you put lighting cables for a normal domestic system in conduit if the cabling was passing through insulated stud-wall?

OK B.O.S.

Understood, I will not use it.
Now get back to your novellas.

Cheers

James.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back