condenser boiler drainage pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is moving to a rented student house soon, it has a condenser boiler with the drainage pipe going outside to a drain. The pipe is over 6 feet long and after last winters weather I am concerned that it may freeze up. (it must have done last winter). What insulation is best for these pipes? Can the foam wrap around type be used or is it not waterproof? Is there any insulation on the market that is specially made for these drain pipes? Any advice welcome. It is no good asking the students to sort it out and the landlord is not very proactive in getting things done, it took all summer just to get the agents to supply the gas safety certificate for the boiler.

Sponsored Links
My daughter is moving to a rented student house soon, it has a condenser boiler with the drainage pipe going outside to a drain. The pipe is over 6 feet long and after last winters weather I am concerned that it may freeze up. (it must have done last winter). What insulation is best for these pipes? Can the foam wrap around type be used or is it not waterproof? Is there any insulation on the market that is specially made for these drain pipes? Any advice welcome. It is no good asking the students to sort it out and the landlord is not very proactive in getting things done, it took all summer just to get the agents to supply the gas safety certificate for the boiler.

Oh mate, I can sympathies with you there!! We've got two student in the family............Ah FFS!! Is it all these computer games that robbed our kids of any practical knowledge or is it because they always had new bikes that they never learned how to repair them?? However, the condensate drain is always best connected internally. Forget about insulation, try to get a connection onto the internal waste system.

Don't get me started on Letting Agents & Landlords. With doing CP12s for them & dealing with them, I know what they're like.

Never mind, our two may one day make the Puller Clan proud. Well, if there's a PhD in drinking & bonking???!!!

Thanks but I doubt the agents would comply with a request to re-route the drainage pipe. No harm in asking though I suppose.

Watch out that the outlet is below ground; a condensation drain outlet waving in the breeze will freeze. Yes, there is black waterproof exterior insulation and the joints should be taped.

Sponsored Links
Not suitable for you but I used a tongue dish right below the boiler outlet, this will help a little as there will be a slight bit of warm air flowing through and helps keep the pipe from freezing. Also if the pipe does freeze then the dish catches the condesation and the boiler does not shut down at 5am when its -20 but make sure your best persian rug is not underneath! A lot of people recommend a larger outside pipe though, same air flow issue.

You can also use 22mm foam pipe insulation, yes it will be OK outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back