Safe to use bleach in sinks/drains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For years I've been keeping my sink and bath plugholes and overflows clean and clear by putting in a bit of bleach for a few hours or overnight before cleaning the bathroom. Recently I read somewhere that bleach can damage pipes and now I'm worried that I've been destroying my pipes all these years! What's the truth? Is it okay to use bleach, or is there another, better way to keep the drains clean and clear? I'm not talking about unblocking or dealing with a problem - just regular, preventive maintenance.

Sponsored Links
News to me that it does anything to the pipework, you shouldn't use it if you have a septic tank but other than that it should be fine

For years I've been... putting in a bit of bleach for a few hours or overnight before cleaning the bathroom... now I'm worried that I've been destroying my pipes all these years!
By definition, you can't have been doing any significant damage, or else you'll have noticed something amiss.

Bleach will cause corrosion of some metals though, if it's in contact with them for a long time. A horrible, black discolouration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back