How to remove sides and top of radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a daft question to ask :oops: . I am preparing to paint a wall with a radiator on it. The radiator is the panel type with fins at the back and the top and sides have a cover that finishes the whole thing off.

How do you remove the top and sides? The sides have a round plastic insert round where the valves are, top and bottom, that rotate with difficulty and appear to hold the sides on but I can't get them to do anything. Do they just pull off or something?

Thanks

H

Sponsored Links
How do you remove the top and sides?
if its an lst rad the screw is at the bottom near the valves usually undoes with a bleed key
rhen the cover lifts up and hinges forward
if its a stelrad you don't need to ;)
they lift off the same as a normal rad

In most cases the side panels will come off if you slide them up first (about 30mm?) and then pull out. You may have to use a bit of force, and if it all goes pear shaped don't blame me! Once the side panels are off, the top panel just lifts/falls off.

I don't know the manufacturer of the rads but after a bit of fiddling I found the optimum technique....................

Using a pair of mole grips or similar gently squeeze together the rim of the plastic bush until part of it goes inside the end panel. With a bit of a push the whole thing can then be persuaded to go inside and the end panel lifts off.

Herself then cleaned the end and top panels with kitchen cleaner spray (the sort with bleach) and they came back to sparkling white :D

I haven't figured how to get the plastic bushes back in yet, brute force and ignorance may prevail..........

Sponsored Links
Did you ever get the top and sides of your radiator back on successfully? I'm just about to try - any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back