How to remove sides and top of radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small double radiator with metal cover top and both sides.
I'm having trouble removing the cover.
It has 4 plastic inserts, one on each corner on the sides.
These rotate and have a section cut out!
The radiator cover also has a section cut out at the bottom both sides but the top(s) do not.

How should these covers be removed?

Should the plastic inserts be rotated and if so to what position?

I've found a little rust so need to gain access to see how bad it is and either rub down and make good or replace if I really need to.
I'm worried about causing damage to the rad as this stupid cover just doesn't want to move.

Only post I've found is this one but it can't be correct to force the plastic clips inside the cover, they will crack for sure and then the cover will not sit correctly!

Thanx for any info on this...
These images look similar to mine; View media item 19773 View media item 19774

Sponsored Links
they are normaly just a tight clip fit
if you have painted them though they will be glued on with paint lol :D

just start at the bottom hook behind the edge and pull but iff its painted on it may get dammaged trying to remove it

Yep, it's a bit of jiggery pokery to pull these off. Getting them back on is sometimes even more entertaining ;) :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the replies guys.
I didn't see your replies but managed in the end. One insert on one side was turned so that wasn't helping as the open end needs to be bottom centre.
No way would they move by hand to start with so I used a wide end screwdriver bottom and top and levered each side up gently as far as they would go!
They then wouldn't come out as the sides don't come up enough or clear the bolts! So managed to get the top cover off with some twisting.
Then used small screwdriver at one side of plastic insert and it came away harahhhh... :D
Side panels just drop away easy at this point.
Funny design as you would think they would have made the sides to simply clear the bolts and they would simply slide all the way off, another 3mm would do it I think :rolleyes:

Now all rubbed down, cleaned and ready for painting so I'm sure I'll have fun putting em back.
Thanx again for the replies.
It's not rocket science but I felt good getting em off lol :eek:

Did you ever get the top and sides back on successfully? I'm just about to try any tips gratefully received :D

Did you ever get the top and sides back on successfully? I'm just about to try any tips gratefully received :D
Yes I did get top and sides back on but it was long while ago so I couldn't tell you how exactly. But it was harder removing them so refitting shouldn't be too bad.
Some rads look the same but are different. Sides can be flush with bolt so making it a lot easier. The cutouts can be bigger so the sides will slide all the way up like the one in the attached foto! Cutout on mine are much smaller!

I think I used a small amount of grease to help refit the plastic bits!
Wear gloves when doing this, twist the ends but not too much! Make sure plastic inserts are correctly rotated open end down I think to allow the end to slide up!
Use wide end screwdrivers and one small end to remove the plastic ends if you need to and also to get the ends moving up (take care you don't damage anything) If you have large cutouts in the side panels you might not have to do this at all!!
Hope that helps.

How to remove side panels..

Remove packaging from radiator , lift radiator from floor and you will be left with both side panels in your hands whilst the radiator crashes to floor. :LOL: :LOL:

How to get side panels off...

Remove packaging from radiator , lift radiator from floor and you will be left with both side panels in your handd whilst the radiator falls to floor. :LOL: :LOL:

Watch your feet cause the bottoms of them rads don't arf hurt across your toes. :D

That's so mean - here I am an inexperienced female who cannot afford the services of tradesmen but still need to maintain my house and you give me unhelpful comments like that.........was slightly amused though! :LOL:

I haven't even managed to get the sides and top off yet but am hoping your previous instructions will help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back