Worcester-Bosch digistat problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an intermittent problem with my Greenstar CDi boiler and DT10RF digistat programmer. The boiler has been working well for over two years, but recently we have found that our digistat was demanding heat from the boiler, with the flame symbol present, but the boiler had not received the message and was not providing heat. However there was no error message on the boiler display.

Usually, but not always, we can temporarily address the problem by turning the desired temperature on the digistat down so the flame disappears and turning it up again. Sometimes the system works OK for a couple of days, but the fault returns - again intermittent.

Our installer suggested we change the batteries, even though the battery low indicator was not present. We did this and the system worked fine for a couple of days, but the intermittent problem came back.

We eventually got through to the Worcester-Bosch helpline who said it might be due to our next door neighbour's wireless computer system. However we have spoken to our neighbour and their wireless system has been unchanged for over a year.

Any ideas?? The result is that the house is often cold and we are out for half a day the temperature gets very cold.

Max

Sponsored Links
when you are calling for heat at the stat and you have the flame goto the base unit on the boiler. Is the antannae flashing? If it is then the two units have lost signal. pretty easy to set up again (in the instructions or on wb website)

If it does it a lot then move it to a convenient place nearer the boiler!

If the antannae doesn't flash then you have a problem with the stat and or receiver and they need replacing!

I think it will be the former! good units all in all.

I would try moving the 'stat, for a few days, if it works ok in a diferent position there is, most likely, something interfering with the signal.

Thank you for your advice. The only problem in testing out your advice is that the system has been working perfectly for the last two days!

Moving the thermostat seems the obvious answer, although the fact that it worked for over two years without a problem is still puzzling.

Clearly the transmitter is connecting to the boiler most of the time, so presumably something must be occasionally interrupting it. Could it be due to our next door neighbour moving their wireless computer nearer to our house?

Max

Sponsored Links
wireless internet can cause probs with them as can RSJ's and all sorts of other things. The new stats brought out in the last 8 months or so offer a signal strength mode but this info is no good to you!

If it keeps losing signal move it closer! If it works with fresh batteries..leave it be :idea:

I have the identical problem which has baffled my gas engineer. Again, it has been working fine for 2 years from new and has been working fine until now.
Suggestions have been wireless interference from WiFi. I have had WIFI since the installation and nothing has changed so why now??? It also only appears to happen in the evenings.
I will try some of the suggestions on this forum by moving the Digistat around to see if this has any bearing on it.

Hi Victor

You are right to be puzzled! We had problems over Christmas, then everything was fine for a couple of months. But recently, this problem has recurred. Our engineer tells me that Worcester now have new digistats with their own specific frequency which should resolve the problem. Does anyone else know about this?

Max

After long and frustrating investigations I am convinced it is the Digistat as this is the second that has gone wrong.
I also am starting to believe, as there seems to be a lot of other purchasers mentioned this problem, that this a design problem and therfore they are not fit for purpose especially as Worcester have now rolled out a replacement. I will contacting them tomorrow requesting a replacement digistat and suggest we all do the same.

Victormorrowland

Please let us know how you got on.

I have recently found this forum having had more and more trouble with my digistat box. I have a newborn in the house and it keeps not sending signals to the boiler. Also i am finding that the battery compartments seem to slowly slip open, causing the batteries to lose contact and the unit to reset.

I have recently used the sale of goods act to secure an out of warranty repair from apple for an iphone (for which they wanted £140!) and it seems like we are going down this road here also. It was a long and hard road though, it took 3 days to get someone to sign off on my repair. During that time i spoke to countless service drones who hadn't the faintest idea what they were talking about.

Hello I have found this site while searching for info on the net. We have experienced exactly the same problem with our boiler - Greenstar 42 cdi combi. It will be 2 years old October 2011. All was fine until a few weeks ago when the bolier cut out, we replaced the batteries in the digistat but still had the problem. Eventually our gas fitter came and looked at the bolier and moved the thermostat out of the hall and into the dining room which is closer to the boiler in the utility room. Also arranged for Worcester engineer to come out, he came last Friday and gave us a new digistat and suggested we leave it in new position. All appeared to be fine, but in the last day or so it has started cutting out again and can only be resolved by moving the digistat to the bolier and then all seems to reset and work again. My question is did anyone get the new digistat that has its own frequency and if so did that solve the problem. Thanks very much for your help.

Hi all,

I also have the same problem. Some time back our boiler lost its signal and didnt come on in the morning. After much fiddling I changed the batteries and thought I had solved the problem. A little while later it came back again though. I then moved the thermostat next to the boiler. Again briefly I thought I had solved the problem but again recently I have noticed it losing connection. The antenna symbol is flashing. I was going to buy a replacement thermostat from ebay but I guess if it is interference this may well not help? I have only just found this page. If anyone has found a solution I would love to know as I dont fancy the cold morning surprises I had last winter!
Cheers, Tim.

I have to admit being a little amused by this thread. You have someone saying their boiler radio stat is intermittent, then somebody claiming to be a boiler doctor of somesuch says they are reliable and rarely go wrong.

I'm not a doctor, I'm an installer, and these blighters go wrong all the time, so I'm thinking, how can this 'expert' view be so different to mine? After all, I'm the real expert :D.

I think the subsequent postings say it all.

Worcester make good boilers but unfortunately choose to source some of their controls from Invensys Drayton. That means they invariably perfrom like Drayton wireless products. That's why we fit Honeywell with our Bosch installs - not perfect, but better.

Hi Simon. I am far from an expert but I am pretty convinced that as you say these controllers are not very good!

I have a worcester 35 cdi. I will try moving the thermostat and fiddling with things that might cause interference (eg WIFI). Assuming this doesn't work though is there a controller that you would recommend which would work with my boiler? Any advice would be a big help.

Cheers, Tim

The Honeywell CM range have been good.

Until recently. Ive backed 6 of them in the last 2 weeks.......

Thanks Simon. I have changed batteries again and also moved a few things including the digistat and a microwave. At the moment it seems to be working (at least the last few days). If the problem comes back though I will look into Honeywell. Cheers, Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back