Disconnect Alarm from telephone system / ADSL filtering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an ADT burglar alarm that is currently unmonitored but was not disconnected from the telephone line by the previous home owners. This causes two problems: (1) About £10 worth of pointless phone charges each month as the alarm dials out (2) The broadband is not working - I think because there is no ADSL filter on the line.

In order to disconnect the alarm from the phone line, I have opened the BT master socket but the only wiring into this are wires connected to terminals A&B. The modem is then plugged directly into the master socket via an ADSL filter. From this set up I'm assuming the alarm must be wired directly to the telephone line and the wiring to the master socket is AFTER the alarm. This is probably why the ADSL filter on the master socket is not making any difference.

Questions:

1) How do I disconnect the alarm from the phone system (without paying £160+ to ADT)?
2) If I remove the cover to the main alarm box to see the wiring, is the alarm going to go off?
3) If this is a not a DIY job, what sort of engineer should I be looking for (again I don't want to use ADT if possible).

Any help appreciated!
Tim

Sponsored Links
Trace the alarms telephone wires into the master socket and disconnect them this may produce a line fault with the control panel. Be careful in the master socket as if you do something wrong and Openreach have to come out you will get billed for that.

2. If you open the alarm control box it will sound as tamper (Internal sounders sound only) assuming the panel is unset. Although removing the lid and causing a tamper , this may make the pannel ask for a remote reset , rendering it useless untill it is defaulted by another company or You pay ADT to do it.

3. If you feel up to doing this yourdelf do it, if not get a engineer who supports Galaxy panels, (NACOSS, NSI GOLD)

Also await a reply from the galaxy experts :

Alarm
oasistechnical
Europlex

If this was wired correctly for line snatch then the panel will be the first item in series on the line.
You would need to find the pair in and out, either by some good deduction or opening the panel. ( Mains is present, isolate before hand).
Then removing the pairs or just jointing inside the panel.
You will get a tamper alert on opening and need to put in the user code to silence. But it will most probably go into a reset needed mode.

If unsure you will need a local company, rather than a national like Aunty and Daisy.
Dependant on the panel just the codes could be defaulted, and the parameters changed, worst a complete reboot. Either way not too severe.
Where are you in London?

Hi timtim, would recommend getting a local engineer in to take over the system, As if you have a line fault on the alarm it may stop you from setting the system, Also its probably fitted with a dummy bell box so when it triggers nobody will know apart from the person breaking in. Would recommend local installer to service it & reconnect monitoring to another arc for keyholder or police response or fit a voice dialler for you. A working alarm is better than no alarm, If you didnt want any comms they could install an live sounder & strobe :D

Sponsored Links
as above!!!
if you open the control panel (end station) you will generate a tamper fault, this will prevent you form using the alarm;
also if you disconnect the phone line from it, it will also generate an alert, that will prevent you from using your system.

as above; contact a local alarm company that can deal with Galaxy, Alarm is in London, so are we every week,

ensure that you have an external siren , i doubt it, get the company that adopts your system to fit one, as you only have an internal siren unit, as they (aunt daisy) rely on the comms to your system to alert people.

also ensure that the company you use are either SSAIB or NSI (nacoss) registered.

hope this helps.

Oasis

Thanks for the helpful replies. Can anyone recommend local engineers in Clapham area or would it be easier to go with ADT engineers?

Tim

Hi timtim, You can use ssaib or nsi if you wish however this is not essential as there are also good unapproved alarm installers out there

here are some local & national installers.

http://www.acesecurity.co.uk/
http://www.matrixsecuritysystems.co.uk/
http://www.alarm-monitoring.co.uk/
http://www.gsecurityalarms.co.uk/

I don't personally recommend any of the above as i haven't seen there work just have a look around the websites and see what they have too offer or give them a bell

Also ask friends & family as well for any recommendations :D

Or somebody on this forum may be able to help you

Yes nice to have it pointed out by a professional that a monitored aunt daisy that is no longer monitored is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I often wonder where aunt daisy stand if there is an exchange or line fault when you are unfortunate to be burgled. The external dummy box must be a real attention grabber - not,

the thing with aunt daisy comes from the USA were they don't really use external sirens.
so when they decided to flood the country with cheap and cheerful alarms they decided not to put up external sirens and just rely on the comms to give an indication of an alarm activation.

and an internal self activating siren to comply with our regs on alarms.

sad really, i have never fitted an alarm system without an external siren ever, and never will, it just seems pointless!

Oasis

Yes nice to have it pointed out by a professional that a monitored aunt daisy that is no longer monitored is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I often wonder where aunt daisy stand if there is an exchange or line fault when you are unfortunate to be burgled. The external dummy box must be a real attention grabber - not,

Ahh here you are, Trolling as per.
And you said you dont do that!

Yes your are correct as we mentioned a system without signaling and no SAB is bit dire. Like some systems mentioned on here where the first you know they dont work is when you need them.

Still pushing them are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back