The new MOT document

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
......is a shadow of its former self, without a reminder sticker of when the test was last done.
However, for £1.50 you can receive a text message concerning the reminder.....direct from the Government.
My local Hi Q are doing MOT's for £25 - can't argue with that!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Makes the job a whole lot easier though. Only one stack of plain paper instead of 4 different ones and no having to re order.

Regarding diesels, I'm pleased that the quick test is now appropriate - I was horrified at revving an engine flat out not under load.
Severely bad crack, that.

Regarding diesels, I'm pleased that the quick test is now appropriate - I was horrified at revving an engine flat out not under load.
Yes I thought that was a harsh test too, the MOT station I used had a disclaimer notice to the effect, if the cambelt fails they are not responsible

Wotan

Sponsored Links

Blimey, I never knew this took place previously. Why could this particular test not be made on the rolling road so that the engine is under load?

Just trying to get my facts straight here but when the diesel emission test first came out, the engine oil temp had to be a minimum of 60 deg (less drag, see) and the engine had to be revved to maximum from idle and held there for a second....3 times :eek:
If the particulates were still there then there was another 6 attempts, I think.
Some time after, the powers that be realised that a lot of the crap was actually coming from the exhaust system anyway......
I remember cringing when my vehicles were done, although I've never witnessed an engine burst due to that.
When the high revving turbo's were tested I do remember seeing a turbo glowing and believe me, thats nigh on impossible with a diesel!
The timing belt was the first thing to go, as the valves started to bounce and a disclaimer was visible :eek:
Running the vehicle on a rolling road would mean having to tie the thing down, so that wasn't practical.
Happily today, oil temp isn't necessary and one quick burst of throttle is all thats needed.

The MOT rolling roads can't really apply any drag. They're a driven roller, designed to just "push" against the brakes. I believe German MOT stations have proper dynamometer rolling roads so that you can put the engine under a bit of load.

I'd be very surprised if the valves would bounce during an MOT test. Surely the engine manufacturer would set the governor to limit the engine speed to something below any danger of valve bounce OR cam belt failure? I think the odd cam belt failure during this test would probably have been a belt that hadn't been changed when it should have done anyway?

(Still agree it was a pretty "cruel" test though)!

The purpose of the full rev test was to see if the governor actually worked,
my Peugeot 405 was knocked back because it could not achieve max revs, it turned out to be the accelerator pedal being loose, I fixed it and max revs were obtained for the necessary three seconds proving the governor was working.

wotan

Why should VOSA care whether your governor works or not though? My feeling is that a governor adjusted so as not not let the engine achieve maximum revs would be a "reason to refuse to test", rather than a fail in its own right, because they can't get the engine to rev out hard enough to produce any smoke. I imagine that if easily adjustable, people with smoky engines would adjust their governors down for the test to improve their chances of a pass!

The left half of the new mot document looks a bit like the old to the untrained eye so all the unscrupulous dealer has to do is slice it down the middle to hide all the advisories and as a bonus no seperate advisory sheet has to be issued ! What a great backward step for the consumer.

Hmm not had the new document yet. Most throw away the old Yellow and red ones anyway leaving only the advisory checkbox to give the game away.

I think I'm going to miss the full traffic light set of Green, Yellow and Red every MOT though. :LOL:

Well now there is nothing left to give the game away and when the new the new certificate is cut down the middle its then about the same size as the certificate it has replaced so as i said in my previous post its bad news for the less informed Arthur daley must be rubbing his hands together !!!

The left half of the new mot document looks a bit like the old to the untrained eye so all the unscrupulous dealer has to do is slice it down the middle to hide all the advisories and as a bonus no seperate advisory sheet has to be issued ! What a great backward step for the consumer.
It's another case of making life difficult as possible for the motorist, the advisory items shown are just that, but when it comes to sell the car, they have a negative effect on the would be purchaser. It's virtual blackmail to get the advisories done before you can attempt to sell the car, more business for rip off garages.

Wotan

Well now there is nothing left to give the game away and when the new the new certificate is cut down the middle its then about the same size as the certificate it has replaced so as i said in my previous post its bad news for the less informed Arthur daley must be rubbing his hands together !!!

One word less to make someone check a cars history. I wonder just how many bothered to check or how many even knew what the advisory box is for. That's assuming they even looked at the document in the first place.

I somehow doubt it will make a big impact on buyer or seller activity when buying a car.

One thing won't change, when you ask a seller for the MOT document number to check the MOT history online or the chassis number for a dealer check, and see their internal suspicion-meter go through the roof.

Sponsored Links
Back