Baxi 105e fan/flue fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys (if anyone is reading this over xmas).

I had the nice present of my boiler breaking on christmas eve! Oh joy.

I'm getting no hot water or central heating and the fan/flue fault (50°C) light is flashing. I know there are similar threads on here and I've read through a few of them and read the service manual, and the fault finding procedure is:

1. check electrical and pressure tube connections
2. check for blockages in pressure tubes
3. check for restriction in flue
4. check venturi

and if those are ok replace air pressure switch, but I've read a lot of posts saying it could be a PCB problem.

The fan does a couple of rotations when I first turn the hotwater on and then stops, if that is a clue to what's wrong.

My first question is what, if any of that can I do myself as a DIYer (I've previoulsly replaced a hotwater diaphragm and hotwater sensor if that's any indication of my skill level). I'm not interested in doing anything that might put my family at risk for the sake of saving a few bob, but if I can avoid paying £200 to get someone out then that would be good.

I'm assuming I can't touch the flue or the venturi because they involve going inside the combustion box.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thats correct, a DIYer should not open the combustion chamber.

However, there is a PCB fault which causes the fan to start for less than a second and then stop. I have seen that problem a few times.

I am not saying that the PCB is the problem in your case only that I have seen that fault caused by the PCB !

Cost to repair is going to be about £200.

I dont remember the exact PCB used on your model but some variants have gas settings on them and those should not be fitted by a DIYer.

Many professionals dont seem to check those gas settings though when replacing the PCB.

Tony

Thanks, I kind of expected as much. I think I'll call British Gas and get one of those fixed price quotes.

Merry Christmas! :(

Call BG if you must, but call your local friendly boiler mender person as well - he'll almonst certainly cost you less.

Sponsored Links
Call BG if you must, but call your local friendly boiler mender person as well - he'll almonst certainly cost you less.

Yeah, that's probably likely. The reason I considered BG is because they offer a fixed quote where they won't charge you more than that quote even if it takes longer to fix or needs more parts than they thought.

I guess I could call a local guy too and see what he says.

take a close look at the BG "fixed" price, it's now a 3 tier pricing system.

Why not call Heateam the service division of Baxi! They offer a fixed price repair with no hidden extras and it comes with a years warranty if anything else goes wrong! :LOL:

Cheers guys. I'll look into it further.

I could do without the hassle on my xmas break!

EDIT: looks like the tiers are £69, £189, £349 for BG

1 fixed price depending on where you live and boiler! But at least you know you will get a baxi engineer who carries 90 percent of the parts for that boiler so won't need to keep coming back like BG! :LOL:

Odd that he does not say what their fixed price is for this model in Sheffield ???

Dont you have the price list on your laptop?

How are you meant to tell the customers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back