Painting glass panel doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have four internal doors to paint, and was wondering what the most efficient and neatest way of going about it. They are the 15 panel glazed doors. I thought of taking the paint slightly onto the glass, and when dry using a blade to scrape the paint off the glass. (as there seems to be a large number of tools on the market to cater for this task). Alternatively, to mask up all the glass panels and paint onto the tape. The third option was to cut in to the glass, but as I'm priming with the Zinsser BIN with a synthetic brush, the brush cannot hold enough paint - and I end up eith paint on the glass anyhow.
The doors are quite old, so they don't have the cut-away plastic sheeting on the glass, and it's going from a varnished to a satinwood finish, hence the priming.
Any thoughts and tips would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I did wonder why you was using Zinseer until I read the last bit....dont rely purely on the primer though, give em a good rub down first, in the direction of the grain.

Synthetic brushes are normally quite good for cutting in...but either option you have mentioned is ok....although if you mask the glass there is a tendency to whack the paint on a bit heavy and it can creep under the masking tape...you will probably find that you have to scrape them a little afterwards anyway.

So maybe option one may be the best for you.

I like to use a well worn brush for cutting into glass. Have to say I find these synthetic brushes grate for broad areas but too floppy for cutting in (even those pricey purdy ones). Isuppose i'll get used to them intime but can't help gettin me old 'broken in' brush to zip round them 15 pain'rs even with acrylics.
good luck .

Hi zampa !

Hello mate...

It looks like your going to have to get used to synthetic eventually... due to changes in industry in China the wild boars (where quality bristles come from) are being used for food now...therefore slaughtered younger before the bristles have time to grow properly...have you noticed the bristle quality on perfections has dropped the bristles are now courser than before ....they look more like they have come from the boars bum!

Thats why Hamilton are developing snthetic brushes.

Sponsored Links
Try Purdy Monarch Pro Extras...think it's Monarch, it's got a blueish tinge to the bristle, synthetic but a bit stiffer than the Elite's, stiff enough to use for egghsell. BIN always creeps under mask tape.
Cait

If you use mask tape, remember to remove it before the paint is really dry, otherwise you could 'remove' your paintwork also when the paint sticks to the tape.
(learned that the hard way :( )

paintycait said:
Try Purdy Monarch Pro Extras...think it's Monarch, it's got a blueish tinge to the bristle, synthetic but a bit stiffer than the Elite's, stiff enough to use for egghsell. BIN always creeps under mask tape.
Cait

Hmm I might check them pro extra's out. too floppy is one of the things I didnt like and of course they dont wear down like real bristles. But the worst I find is the Chamfer on the tips takes me ages to guide paint to where I want it. Masking tape erm on 15 pane doorsI just could'nt!!!

I have noticed as Zampa says brush quality is going downhill. I used to use jewson pro's and they were brilliant you could use them in gloss/eggshell from new. I fell out with jewson a few years ago when they altered their pricing structure, but think I might have to creep back in their soon ;)

Check these out...very good brushes..reasonable price too and an excellent service

http://www.wsbrushes.co.uk/

Ask for uncle neil....oops.... :oops:

Only kidding...these are based in Daganham Est London...higher recommend the Neptune range...the 2.5 inch is a fantastic tool big enough for doors ....small enough for frames.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back