Want a New Boiler - Question to Customers Only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a Heating Installer we advertise with information we think you want, but we may not be providing the information you need.

To help us improve, can you tell us what information you are looking for and what criteria sways you to choose one company over another. Also where would be the first place you would look for an installer?

Any information gratefully received. :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Whilst not a direct answer to your question, you might nevertheless be interested in my perception as I dare say it could well be shared by others.

For situations/circumstances where there is a high risk of suffering at the hands of a cowboy operator[1] (heating systems, plumbing and some of the other more 'complex' trades) I tend to stay well clear of those that advertise on the basis that if working on the premise that those without work need to advertise the most, by implication those that advertise the least (or indeed not at all) have the most work and by virtue must do so because they really are quite good.

To that end I wouldn't recommend advertising at all but rather relying on word of mouth. This reliance does need actively working on i.e. exceeding customer expectations, as it won't materialise out of nothing. Of course, not being in the business I appreciate that from your perspective things could well look very different and this approach simply might not cut it even if you are skilled, honest, reliable etc - it has to be said though that all these qualities that I look for cannot be demonstrated in any meaningful way in an advert.

This strategy has served me as a customer well as whilst I tend to do a lot of DIY I do know my limits - be they skill-based or legal constraints - and so when I have had to get someone in I have relied on word of mouth to get someone that, ideally, comes widely recommended. They invariably simply don't advertise at all as that they get all their work through word of mouth - indeed most seem to be turning work down because such word of mouth tends to grow exponentially by its very nature. (Caveat: This was all 2-3 years ago so I don't know how today's economic climate has changed things)

Mathew

[1] I use the colloquial term 'cowboy' but, to be frank, I am also referring to those who are also incompetent i.e. they are not intentionally ripping being off but rather just not offering a very good service due to lack of skills, knowledge or even due consideration and respect.

Thank you Mathew, your comments are gratefully received. Definitely an excellent topic for discussion and opinions, which I could so easily do, but that could take this post off at a tangent, and the thread could be lost. I am purposely staying neutral to encourage others to comment. A worthy comment to take on board though. :D

Not immediately being in the market for a new boiler I wonder if I should even be commenting, but aside from agreeing with the word of mouth vs direct advertising comment made by MJN, I also like to see a consultative approach - i.e. take the time to find out what I want/need and then advising on what will meet that requirement.. be it a new boiler, zoning my system, or some other task.

Sponsored Links
I like your comment Dormermike. Thanks for coming forward as I'm sure the majority of companies appreciate your honesty as we ultimately want to provide a good service to you. Well thats what I hope.

Definitely an excellent topic for discussion and opinions, which I could so easily do, but that could take this post off at a tangent, and the thread could be lost.

Totally understand, and I think you're dead right!

Distilling my general feeling into some hopefully more pertinent comments I think if you are going to advertise then my advice (or, rather, preference) would be for advertisements that don't make it sound like you're desperate, even if you are! ;)

Exactly what this means in quantitative terms is hard to say, it's just that it's the more understated ad style that grabs my attention. Perhaps it is attention to details other than simply price that appeals to me e.g. showing that you treat customers, and their requirements, as individuals (no one-size-fits-all assumptions) and highlighting honesty, integrity, professionalism etc as qualities that you can offer. The last thing I want to see is an advert focussing on price alone because I am only too aware that with the apparent race to the bottom in our consumer market the ultimate conclusion is profit margins that cannot be narrowed any further and so something else has got to give instead! If I was in the market for a new boiler I would be seeing the 'product' that I am buying as being far more than a white box hanging on a wall but rather all aspects related to it such as its suitability, quality of installation, pre/post-installation support, etc and it is reflections of these aspects that I would wish to see being included as part of what you are advertising.

I appreciate that such 'soft' aspects like customer service, respect, tidiness(!) etc could potentially be just weasel words in an ad however the very fact that you are stating them at least shows you recognise their value and that, for me, is a very good start! It's those tradesmen that don't even see the importance of those qualities that I want to stay well clear of.

Of course, not everyone is like me (thank God I hear you say!) and many people are taken in by a headline price and will not stop to consider anything else and so how you cater for everyone in one ad I really don't know. That said, I suppose that given a focused advert will appeal to a particular sector of the market you can use this to your advantage by shaping it towards your desired customer profile. I dare say that there may be some correlation between those customers that want to pay the absolute minimum and those that you cannot please no matter what you do and so perhaps trying to compete on price (alone) may not be such a good strategy anyway!

Above all, if I'm going to be forking out a not-insignificant amount of money to someone I want to be able to trust them and if your ad can build at least something resembling a foundation for that trust then you might well be able to convince me towards taking that all important second step of getting in touch.

Just my 2p worth, and probably overpriced at that! ;)

Mathew

P.S. Thinking about what advertising works and what doesn't has reminded me of a chap who recently knocked on my door and handed me a flyer advertising UPVC double glazing etc. He then reeled off his script about being able to install double glazing, conservatories and front doors despite me living in a house built in 2007 and me telling him we've got a conservatory and us both being stood next to a decent quality composite front door. His robotic manner, and apparent refusal to even consider *my* requirements and circumstances, and the fact that they might differ from somebody else's, really didn't win him any points with me. I felt sorry for the guy as he's probably got a family to feed like all of us but with such a poor advertising strategy I fear he's not going to do that well out of it.

I would go for an installer if has the following criteria:
1) Gas safe registered
2) Provieds full address with contact numbers
3) Offers free quotation with no obligation

when he comes over to inspect and give the quote i would like him:
1) Gives me a full idea about my options, the cheap and the expensive
2) What he thinks is best and why
3) Use simple technical terms
4) Not being pushy, coz sometimes being that gives me impression that he is selling something bad and just wants my money.
5) Tells me what after sale service he offers and what if something goes wrong the next day.
6) offers a free house visit after 3 days of installation to see if everything is running smoothly.
7) leave his business card and contact.

I would go for an installer if has the following criteria:
1) Gas safe registered
2) Provieds full address with contact numbers
3) Offers free quotation with no obligation
I'll second that, but to be honest, how many people doing heating work aren't gas-safe registered ? I would check, but I find the pre-occupation of some local traders to have a gas-safe logo bigger than their own name on the van a bit odd !
when he comes over to inspect and give the quote i would like him:
1) Gives me a full idea about my options, the cheap and the expensive
2) What he thinks is best and why
Oh yes. I had a quote (for a combi boiler replacement) a year or so back, and one of the people I had in seemed like he was trying to talk himself out of ever getting any work from me. I hate combi boilers, yet he couldn't apparently conceive of why anyone wouldn't think of them as anything other than "the best thing since sliced bread". I was also trying to ask about options for the flue location, and his attitude was more or less "that's where I'm putting it", and he then exhibited an inability to understand why someone might not want their back wall covered in plume diversion pipework. I had a flue location in mind, we didn't get to discuss it due to his attitude.
3) Use simple technical terms
But the flip side of that, is being able to discuss things with a technically minded person.
4) Not being pushy, coz sometimes being that gives me impression that he is selling something bad and just wants my money.
And especially, don't start with the "I can do it for <some reduced amount> if you sign now". I've watched a number of double glazing salesmen talk themselves out of a sale when my parents were getting the house done a few years ago. If your quote won't stand up to scrutiny, then there's something wrong. Yes there is a risk that the job will go to the cheapest, but not all customers are like that - I've certainly gone with more expensive quotes in the past when I've believed it was a better deal.
5) Tells me what after sale service he offers and what if something goes wrong the next day.
6) offers a free house visit after 3 days of installation to see if everything is running smoothly.
7) leave his business card and contact.
Oh yes.

well as it happens I am looking for a new boiler - and it's a matter I know bugga all about!

So I want someone who can listen to what I think I want then tell me what is possible - BUT - I need to trust a) their knowledge, b) they are doing it for a reasonable price and c) that they are not just "selling what they've got".

How do I find that person? That's the question - word of mouth is the best - but I work miles away from where I live and all of my family are a hundred or more miles away, the few friends that I have "locally" don't know any good plumbers. So what do I do know? The trading standards web site is the best idea I've come up with so far.

For me I would almost certainly give the job to the guy I use already for servicing. I would probably get another quote or two as I'd like to check he wasn't way out - but if he was more expensive but not too far I'd still use him.

This is how things tend to have worked for me. I try people out on small jobs (eg boiler servicing). The ones I like I then use again. If they are reliable and fair then when a big job comes they get it.

I would say as a tradesman you build up trust on the small stuff (I'd therefore not dismiss minor jobs as thay often will build the customer trust for larger ones). To prove the point, I needed a very small electrical job doing and a couple of electricians didn't turn up after saying they would. The third one did, did a good job and I liked him. The rewire when due will be his based on the previous work and trust built up. I wouldn't even get a quote from the electricians that didn't turn up, for the trust is lost.

Someone who comes in with 'shoe covers' and can provide dust sheets from front door to work area.

The above is what I do all the time and believe it or not it gets me more work.

Andy

[...] believe it or not it gets me more work.

I can well believe it Andy - it's those little things, the 'added extras' I suppose, that make all the difference.

Incidentally, if I saw you putting shoe covers on or putting more dust sheets down than abolutely necessary I'd probably say not to worry about it, but the sentiment of you offering would still be just as valued.

Mathew

I think we are going well off the topic that is being asked but........

The majority of our customers (cleaning following flooding and Fire damage) are women. And when we did a survey, what we found was that the biggest thing that they wanted was to feel safe and secure in their own home. The question is how can we do that? Almost all of our technicians are relatively big and burly so we are on a bit of a loser with customers being small and comparatively fragile. So we train them to stand back from the door ask "permission questions" - may I do this, is this OK, etc and most importantly we start the visit with a sincere statement - [b]"We're here to help."[/b]

well as it happens I am looking for a new boiler - and it's a matter I know bugga all about!

So I want someone who can listen to what I think I want then tell me what is possible - BUT - I need to trust a) their knowledge, b) they are doing it for a reasonable price and c) that they are not just "selling what they've got".

How do I find that person? That's the question - word of mouth is the best - but I work miles away from where I live and all of my family are a hundred or more miles away, the few friends that I have "locally" don't know any good plumbers. So what do I do know? The trading standards web site is the best idea I've come up with so far.

Would love to answer to this in more depth, have to hold back, but your the type of person we are advertising for and hopefully trying to convince and protect from the less caring traders out there. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back