POWERMAX -To replace or not ? and then, with what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Some advice please.

I'm buying a house which is a repossession, built in Sept 2003, it has a Powermaxx 155 boiler which I have no history for and which has been drained down for the last 4 months. From what I've read, it's a pig that breaks down at will and no one wants to work on them and they have a history of killing people.

However, it just about falls inside the heat team 10 year fixed fee repair warranty. Having read many posts and warnings - I think it's time for a change- but should I give Heat team a go first?

The house is about 135 sq.mtrs (1400 Sq.ft) of floor area, 4 beds, 3 bogs, 2 showers - one over a bath. The powermaxx is sited centrally upstairs in what I would have called the airing cupboard. There is a flue (looks like stainless steel) which runs sort of diagonally through the loft and (presumably ) out through the roof to the outside.

What would you suggest? New boiler or try Heat team first?

If I go for replacement I think I would like to mount it on an outside wall in the loft. Is that a good idea?

I'd really love to have powerful showers (power showers would be even better!) - but is that possible with modern heating systems? (from what I've read it sounds like that is what the Powermax was capable of doing "Hot water at mains pressure").

Sponsored Links
Mains pressure unvented Megaflow in the airing cupboard. You allready got adequate pipework. Then put a system boiler in the loft if thats possible.
Wouldnt want to be the bugger taking out the 155x though!

Mains pressure unvented Megaflow in the airing cupboard. You allready got adequate pipework. Then put a system boiler in the loft if thats possible.
Wouldnt want to be the b*****r taking out the 155x though!

Been there and done it mate.

And yes, it was a b1tch of a job to remove it :rolleyes:

You could look at a hybrid design combi, such as the Bosch Highflow 440 or 550 CDI. Some key installers have a 7yr parts and labour warranty deal with these now.

Other alternatives are available from Viessmann, and a more limited HW output product from Vaillant.

Sponsored Links
If budget allows unvented would be the way to go, some prelimenary checks will need to be done first. There are some questions the installer would need to verify first.

There are some high output combi's which may be suitable dependent upon your circumstances. In my profile there are some pics of unvented installs.

Thanks all!

So replace is the way to go, apparently.

I know I'm sticking my neck out but what sort of ball park price should I expect for the various systems that you suggest?

michele5041, what sort of questions should the proposed installer be asking? Thanks, Ian

Pricing is really dificult'asit depends upon appliance,cylinder size ,existing system configuration flue termination, unvented discharge etc. If I was conducting the site visit,I would ask about hot water lifestyle, occupant demands, try to understand what you want from the system, verify all locations. Check pressure and flow.
Dependent upon the above I have fitted STD and high output combis as well as UV systems.

On one of the other threads about Powermax boilers people have been suggesting a Veismann 333 - I've no idea what the difference is though. Is a bigger number better?

If budget allows unvented would be the way to go, some prelimenary checks will need to be done first. There are some questions the installer would need to verify first.

There are some high output combi's which may be suitable dependent upon your circumstances. In my profile there are some pics of unvented installs.

The only PITA thing there is the Temp and pressure relief in relation to how far to an outside wall :(

Dont you just love developers who stuck these things in the middle of flats :rolleyes:

The only PITA thing there is the Temp and pressure relief in relation to how far to an outside wall

Dont you just love developers who stuck these things in the middle of flats

Got exactly this situation on our "to do" list. Concrete floors though.

Going for an OV Combi boiler option.

"PITA thing"??? "OV" open vent? C'mon guys have some pity for the fat lad trying keep up! Regards, Ian

Yes.get shot of that powermax before you move in.i had a property with one and i wanted to put in a large combi but no installer could come up with a solution even british gas rep cancelled their appointment on same day....

so i moved house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back