Henley Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to extend the supply cable from the meter to the distribution board, which is going to be relocated to a new position. Do I use a Henley Block? If so how do I wire the Live, Neutral & Earth wires into the Block?

Sponsored Links
If you have to ask this you should not be attepting this.
Please consult a professional.

Sponsored Links
connecting cables = okay fair enough
connecting permenantly live cables = stupidity if you don't know how to deal with this or safely isolate them. Do you know how to safely isolate them?

nommienorman said:
i know how to isolate the mains supply
how? have you done it yourself before? did you read it on the net? do you know it's illegal to do it yourself?

crafty1289 said:
nommienorman said:
i know how to isolate the mains supply
how? have you done it yourself before? did you read it on the net? do you know it's illegal to do it yourself?

there might already be an isolator. but still, if he needs to ask how to wire 3 cables into each henly block, he shouldnt be attempting this

Hi Everyone,

I can't help but feel a bit sorry for nommienorman, I think he has been hard done by.

To isolate the supply you must pull out the service fuse, its like a cartridge fuse for a fuseboard but a lot BIGGER!. You'll find it has seals on it (or you may find like me - it didn't), pull it and then thats the supply disconnected.

You do however do this at your own risk and to be honest, I would have gotten someone in if the electric company hadn't faffed around for a month sending me to the supplier, then my billing company etc. In the end I did it myself but here's some tips I would give you (I am by no means an electrician, but I think this is common sense really).

1. Turn the main swith on your old fusebox CU off
2. When you've pulled the fuse out, take the cartridge out and replace the plastic bit back into the service block (if thats what its called :?: ) - This stops you accidentally poking your fingers in afterwards.
3. WIre up new CU and make sure its off
4. replace service fuse
5. Turn on new CU but make sure all your breakers are off
6. Turn on one circuit at a time

The above might seem pedantic and if you are a lot more experienced then i'm sure you could skip most of the above but its not nice putting the fuse back in with the load connected. flashes of blue spring to mind!

I think thats about it.

Happy wiring

Lorraine

lorraine said:
1. Turn the main swith on your old fusebox CU off

failure to do this could cause the fuse to arc when removing/inserting and can do damage to the service head and could blind you or worse

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question. You seem to have misread what I was asking.

To clarify, I have a cable which feeds from the meter to a distribution board. I want to reposition the distribution board to a location which is beyond the reach of the existing cable. My question is will a henley block be suitable or should I use something else to connect the extension cable to the existing cable?

Your kind advice will be most appreciated.

The tails from you metere to the consumer shold, ideally, be continuous and not jointed, hever this is a requirement of the Regs for Earth Cables, these should only be jointed at points of Earth connection.

I would suggest that you buy some more Double Insulated tails and extend that way, not using a joint.

Further, bear in mind that if the consumer unit will now be remote from the meter, in a different location that is not directly though a wall, then this connection may need to be done using SWA not DI Tails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back