Swap 3 pin for shaver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our house has a cloakroom/utility room that currently has a 3 pin socket in it (was powering a washing machine). Ideally I'd like this changed for a shaver socket, and my father has offered to do so. I'm a bit confused by the various regulations though - if the plug socket is there already do we need it signed off/checked, or can he just go ahead?

If so will a standard transformer socket work ok?

Thanks
Gareth

Sponsored Links
I suppose it would yes - I thought changing for a transformer might offer more protection if it got splashed (it's not hugely far away from the sink and after the room is renovated the kids will be using it a lot)

For one with a transformer you need a very deep backbox, plus the socket will probably be on its side as they are usually vertically mounted.

Sponsored Links
I rather think that you would need to add/change the existing socket for an FCU and put a 3amp fuse in it. The output from the FCU would then go to the shaver socket.

Rather a lot of work when the Wickes adaptor will do the same thing.

PS Please note that the requirement for a sseparated supply (eg a shaver point) only applies in Bath and shower rooms, etc. It's not necessary in a regular cloakroom that has only a WC and sink.

Thanks all, much appreciated - ill go with the wickes adapter and save my long suffering father some work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back