Does replacement boiler have to be on an outside wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our exisitng boiler - gas-fired Potterton Kingfisher CF100 - was handily placed in our dining room under a chimney. It now needs replacing.

Our first quote a - gassafe indpendent - tells us that we have to put the replacement on an outside wall. Space makes this tricky however.

Is it possible to use the existing site but vent the flue to the outside or up the chimney?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Any boiler needs to be within reach of the outside for the flue as well as within reach of a drainage point for the condensate discharge.

Tony

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm still not quite clear. Our existing boiler is about 7 feet from the outside wall but there is a doorway between it and the wall. So any venting would have to be up and over the top of the dorway.

Is it not possible then for the new boiler to be in the same position as the old boiler?

Thanks again.

Generally not at a cost you would want to pay.

There are a VERY few manufacturers who have a flue system which can be fitted inside an old chimney.

Those that do would probably be at least an extra £1000 installed as scaffolding is normally needed to reach the chimney for the installation.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Boilers are very flexible now in where they can be fitted what about in your airing cupboard / loft etc . It is not unusual for boilers to have equivalet flue lengths of up to 10 metres which would accomodate most installs done into a cupboard located in middle of a house

Thanks again.

My current knackered boiler sits in the fireplace with the flue going up and out though the roof. The gassafe chap thinks he has to site the new boiler on the outside wall which is quite tricky because of the lack of wall-space.

I want to site the new boiler where the old boiler was and using the same flue.

So can this be done but with the condensate being vented over the top of the doorway and out through the wall?

you cant use the same flue but it is possible to fit a replacement flue liner into the chimney, but a site visit would be needed to see if its a possibility, and even if it is it can very expensive. I would be looking at an upstairs cupboard like the airing cupboard as a location, with a flue routing through the roof.

Its sometimes possible to fit a boiler in the loft at a reasonable cost.

Has your RGI thought of that?

Tony

mysteryman, I too have a similar problem, no outside walls to conveniently fit a new boiler. Which type of Viessmann is it which can have a chimney flue, and would it be possible to use existing chimney, which my existing Glowworm does? Any advice much appreciated, thank you.

The first scenario can be resolved by fitting a Worcester FS30CDi conventional in the hearth with a Worcester Flexiflue kit up the chimney.

We've done a few of these and they work well, but you cannot have an adjacent chimney pot operational because it vitiates the inlet combustion air.

Alternatively, and possibly more suited to the second poster, Viessmann offer a very wide range of chimney liners, either balanced or exhaust only (where the chimney outlet is adjacent to another pot being used). We've done a few of these too. The Viessmann compact WB1B is a good open vented boiler and goes up to 26kW; above this and you are limited to the 200 series which all require a sealed water system.

We tend not to use scaffolding unless it is impossible to get a truck mounted access platform outside. These have a reach of typically 9m (on a non HGV chassis - more on an HGV) and do not damage the tiles. Also have the advantage of being on site and gone on the same day.

simond, thank you for reply, interesting. My chimney/flue was built with the house originally, and is constructed of 150mm dia. concrete pipes, with brick surround, to match rest of house. The boiler flue is the only flue in this chimney, which was on the end of house, but due to an extension is now 15 feet from gable wall. I was wondering, would this flue be acceptable as it is, without lining, as it is exhaust only? I presume, the combustion air is from inside the house, as at present? Once again, all advice appreciated.

It has to be lined, Zokko. No way out of that for a condensing boiler, I'm afraid.

nothing wrong with old boilers,i prefer older boilers.less problems.
but to move an existing boiler requires a lot more cash outlay.
everyone now wants their £ % nowdays.

patsmotors, the last I called out the local RGI when the thermocouple failed on 1991-fitted Glowworm Hideaway, he inferred the boiler would need replacing soon, and due to its location, would be a problem. The thermostat had to be replaced soon after that, so I am concerned. Its working fine at the moment, and I believe there are few items to fail in old boilers compared to new ones. I drain and refill every 2 years or so, with Fernox added. Just keep fingers crossed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back