Ventilation to a gas fire with central heating back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been loooking at a house for a daughter and the living room has a New World Stowaway 411 gas fire in the fireplace with a back boiler and connected to the chimney which has a traditional clay pot on the chimney stack. There is no additional ventilation to the room as I was expecting. Should there be? Comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes there should be a terminal and 65cm2 ventilation direct to outside, ducted, no fly screen etc. This boiler is going to be 35 years old....treat it as needing urgent replacement.

It should certainly have the ventilation into the room and could be considered as At Risk without it.

As to the flue terminal, it is quite possible that when it was originally installed, the pot was acceptable in which case it would be classed as Not to Current Standards.

More interesting perhaps is whether it has a flue liner which seems unlikely if there is no terminal.

If there is no flue liner then the question arises, should it have one?

Most professionals are wary of back boilers because so many safety issues arise. I dont remember ever seeing one without a flue liner although there may have been some early models which did not not need them.

Tony

Tony no ventilation is at risk full stop, in fact anything under 40% is currently at risk. The instructions for this model state it must be on flue lined chimney and must have a British Gas approved flue terminal.

Sponsored Links
25 quid for a 5" tubulavent, 100 quid for flexible flue liner complete with correct terminal. 10 quid for firestop register/plate. Necessary documentation and noitce plate, half a days pay and your legal again.

Paul Barker said:
25 quid for a 5" tubulavent, 100 quid for flexible flue liner complete with correct terminal. 10 quid for firestop register/plate. Necessary documentation and noitce plate, half a days pay and your legal again.

The stowaway 411 ceased production in 1972, now I'm all for 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but that is just throwing good money after bad. Would you want your daughter to live with it :confused:

Scrap it and put a steamer in, the most I would do is fit ventilation, anything else is a waste of money, if it packs up two weeks later where you gonna get he spares.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back