One for gas-safe members

So if you sold cookers in a shop, what would you do?

Offer to remedy any defects in the pipework free of charge?

Or would you get out your crystal ball and inspect the installation first?

The reason i have to tramp over to prospective customers houses for free, for half my working life, is to make sure my quotes accurately reflect the task. But then, this is on jobs from £2000 to £15000. Making a site visit for a job worth £1k to give a price wher at least two other quotes are being obtained will not earn me a paupers wage.

If you are selling cookers in a retail environment a site visit is clearly impractical, especially since some punters will drive 20 miles to save £5 - so you have to rely on assumptions and a contract to protect you from squealers.

Sponsored Links
Cost is not a considerations.

The offer was to supply and fit, and the OP accepted the deal.

Fit should mean commission and install to current regs.

And what's with the not qualified rubbish, he either is or working illegally.

Cost is not a considerations.

The offer was to supply and fit, and the OP accepted the deal.

Fit should mean commission and install to current regs.

And what's with the not qualified rubbish, he either is or working illegally.
Deliver and fit to point would mean that if the point is not in the correct position and is perfectly legal to walk away from without breaking any trading standards, the company I worked for told us to walk if it wasn't in the correct position, I only ended up fitting about 1 in 20, my friend worked for cannon and they were completely different, they would do up to 1.5m of pipe work and were of course insured for blow lamp use unlike us.

UPDATE
Instalation cost refunded by Department store where cooker was purchased as well as the extra cost incurred by my having to engage another fitter.
But it took threat of a small claim to get them to pay up. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Immediately behind, so anywhere in the space the cooker stands in

Unfortunately, thats often not the case.

Many cookers have recessed backs on one side or the other and its only in those areas where a bayonet can be fitted. Not even in the same place on all cookers either.

Interesting question too! The regs apparently say that ( unless MI say otherwise ) there should be about 25 mm gap either side of a cooker.

Most kitchen fitters leave virtually no gap!

Tony

UPDATE
Instalation cost refunded by Department store where cooker was purchased as well as the extra cost incurred by my having to engage another fitter.
But it took threat of a small claim to get them to pay up. Thanks for the advice.

Think yourself VERY lucky!

Most conditions would say:-

" to fit cooker to suitably located existing gas bayonet socket"

Generally hardly 30% of the ones I see are suitably located!

Tony

Interesting comments Simond :confused:

The Shop sold the cooker, with delivery and installation.

Now I may be getting old in the tooth but, I, would expect it to be delivered, installed, and commissioned properly, according to BS 6172-2004 or whatever it is now.

At the very least the custard should get it installed and bill the shop, personally I would tell them to collect it and refund the money.

Of course there's probably a clause in the t&c that says the gas must be within 2mm of X marks the spot.

100% agree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back