Should my range cooker be supplied in 22mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I'm just wondering if my double oven range cooker should really be supplied using 22mm instead of the 15mm it currently has?

While being only a few feet away from the meter, the pipe seems to go from the meter (22mm) upstairs, along a meter or two then down in 15mm to the cooker (its in an old chimney hole) for about 4m.

I'm wondering if this would make the gas pressure too low?

No gas cooker has really cooked to the recommended times, always taking longer so am wondering if it may have low pressure causing this.

Sponsored Links
I suspect it is yes, it can be easily repiped in 22mm with a 3 foot run instead of several meters by simply drilling a hole through the 14" chimney side wall which I dont mind doing. The questions is basically if it will improve the pressure at the cooker?

Note for all, the gas piping work is not something I intend to do myself, however I want to find out the facts etc myself.

Yes it would be better to have a short run as you describe, as range cookers use a lot of gas when everything is on also the cooker flex would be better with a 1/2 inch internal bore as opposed to the usual 3/8th.
If you are currently having pressure probs with it ,it is probably because the boiler is fitted on the same line and robbing the cooker when it fires up

Sponsored Links
The pipe out of the meter is T'd off - left to the boiler (6 foot of 22mm pipe), the cooker has a longer path but the boiler is not on much - a good point though & I will keep an eye out for that.

Methinks its time to get the drill out.

We have a Leisure engineer coming out soon.

I note that in the handbook it says it should have a 600mm (I think) flex.

I have a 6ft one 8012 is that likely to be any problem?

Cheers.

Edit: Just looking further - why do the sockets only fit 1/2"/15mm pipe and not 22mm if thats recommended?

Which makes me wonder if its only a short length of 15mm pipe.

We have a Leisure engineer coming out soon.

I note that in the handbook it says it should have a 600mm (I think) flex.

I have a 6ft one 8012 is that likely to be any problem?

Cheers.

Edit: Just looking further - why do the sockets only fit 1/2"/15mm pipe and not 22mm if that's recommended?
Those gas ovens are well known for taking longer to cook than books recommend, they almost always are lower than the temperature expected for each gas mark, you wont like me for saying this but they are a cheap cooker made by Beko and you wont get premium performance from it, they are basically 2 couple of hundred quid cookers bolted together.

Hmm, no wonder the woman on the phone made the "mistake" of referring to Beko when talking about the engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back