Roof Beam or Roof Board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I tell the difference between a roof beam and a roof board, I believe a roof beam takes half the roof weight and a roof board is just to help build the roof.
The beam/board in my loft is built into the wall on one side of the loft and on the other side it is being held up by a brick sticking out of the wall that is corroding away, i'm sure if this is the set up that it can't be load bearing. I am thinking of using an acrow to tak the weight of this end and chisel out the offending brick and replace it with a new one, is this a wise decision?

Sponsored Links
A beam can be a board, and a board can be used as a beam

The name is irrelevant it is the function which matters ... and then that function will determine the correct name

So if the function is that of a beam should I be attempting the said work or if it is that of a board am I crazy to even go there?

It depends if it has a structural function or not. Your description sounds like a ridge board, but it depends how the roof has been framed

Sponsored Links
Because I don't know if it is supporting anything, if looks like there is some kind of pressure on the brick. I already think that the brick has corroded because of a leak from above. I just need to know should I stick and acrow in there to be sure.

Ah yea, sorry my bad, didn't really look at the photy, for a better response though as mentioned by ^woody^ you'll need to show us how the whole roof is framed so that it can be established whether its a board or beam. So in an ideal world you need to post a nice little 3D sketch showing sizes and positions of all the roof timbers and where they're being supported. Otherwise we can only guess.

It does appear that it is merely functioning as a ridgeboard (non-structural), despite its chunkiness

You could probably leave it as is.

If you really want to do something then screw or bolt a vertical piece of 4x2 to the wall (say 500mm long) and then form a small timber strut (timber at 45 degree) to the ridgeboard. This means that you don't have to disturb the bricks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back