Why did rcd blow after changing a plug socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just changed a plug socket for the first time carefully following the wiring instructions and making sure all bare wires were covered. I changed it from a plastic one to a metal one with a plastic casing. I isolated the fuse for the sockets in that part of the house and switched it off testing with a lamp. I changed it all, turned the fuse back on and then the rcd blew for the whole house. I flipped the rcd and restored everything and then the new socket seemed to be functioning as the lamp was lit by the new socket. There has been no problems since but I am wondering why it did this as I had isolated the socket. As it is Saturday morning the washing machine and dishwasher were on so not sure if this higher than normal usage caused the rcd to blow when I switched the socket fuse back on??? Any ideas why?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Time to isolate the supply and recheck your work, as it tripped as you restored the power after your work.

You could have damaged a conductor or caused a short circuit or maybe a pressure fault.

I have since turned all the fuses back on and everything is now working including the new socket. Do you still think I should check even if all okay now?

Sponsored Links
No I am not sure that the rcd blew when I turned it back on actually. It could have happened when I was working on it. I was struggling with the wires so they could have touched. I didn't know it would trip if the fuse was switched off...

Thanks for the answers, I will re open but will wait until Monday as I am too worried that if something happens I will have to get an emergency electrician! If I mess about on Monday, and take a photo then, if something goes wrong I can get a sparky out then. LOL, a bit risk averse.

I am very much a novice and wasn't great at science at school! How does a earth and a neutral wire cause a trip in the system if the fuse is turned off? Is thee still a residue current and how comes it doesn't electrocute you?

No I am not sure that the rcd blew when I turned it back on actually. It could have happened when I was working on it.

THat's probably the reason then.

If you think you did a good job on the socket, probably not worth messing anymore, unless you get further problems

I am very much a novice and wasn't great at science at school! How does a earth and a neutral wire cause a trip in the system if the fuse is turned off?
It is because all the Neutrals and Earths (CPCs) are connected together, separately at the CU and then completely at your supply or the transformer.

When you touch them together some of the current from other items being used goes through the CPCs, instead of all through the Neutrals, and so bypasses the RCD which detects the imbalance etween L and N and trips, which is what it does.
Is there still a residue current
Residual current IS the amount of imbalance, in the case of RCDs between L and N.
and how comes it doesn't electrocute you?
No potential difference (volts) or very little.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back