Laying new concrete floor. How long to dry please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a concrete floor put in a ground floor room of my house which will be about 20m2 and 0.17 m thick. Can some one give me an idea of how long it should be left to dry before I can start putting laminate down? I've been told answers of 2 days to answers of 6 months! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The general rule of thumb is that for a slab to dry out thoroughly it takes about one month per inch of thickness (ie approx. 6 months for yours). Presumably you won't want to wait this long before covering it and you may well be OK with a lesser time.
I've known some people put vinyl down within a few days of the concrete being laid and the excess damp gets pushed up the walls behind the skirting board, ultimately causing dry rot.
Be on the safe side and be patient.

I reckon you should be OK after about five weeks.

You can speed up the process by putting a de-humidifier in the room and sealing the room as well as possible - De-humidified air draws the water out of the the screed much faster.

Give it a few days before you start de-humidifying so that you don't get any cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back