Internet explorer shutting down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody; this one is weird. I'm using IE7 with XP Pro SP3 and every time I try to open this website:

www(dot)walter-fendt(dot)de/ph14e/bohrh(dot)htm

internet explorer shuts down instantly. No error messages, nothing. :confused: :confused: :confused: I had to put the dots in brackets because even copy and paste causes shutdown. I found the site by entering "Bohr theory of the hydrogen atom" into Dogpile so I wouldn't expect it to be a rogue website. Has anybody seen this before. :?: :?: :?: Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
The only odd thing on that page is a Java applet which allows you to see the atom with any number of energy levels. So I'd suggest reinstalling Java.

The code itself does not look malicious.

Sponsored Links
I used to get this with some random java or flash animations

I use chrome now

Changing browser's unlikely to make much real difference as the dodgy code is part of the Java or Flash sandbox itself, which is separate. Installing a new browser may appear to fix it simply because it'll refresh the installed code.

I tried opening the link on my home computer and nothing nasty happened, except that there were no animations. I haven't had the chance to try anything out on my work computer yet, which is where I had all the problems.

Igorian, by "browser cache" do you mean temporary internet files. I should be able to delete those.

Tautology, I don't know if I'll be able to reinstall Java. Wouldn't I need to be an administrator on my local machine?

^woody^, same problem. I don't know if I'll be able to try Chrome.

Thanks for all the help. It's reassuring to know that I haven't infected my work computer with malware and I found the information I was looking for elsewhere. :) :) :)

Ah; it's a work computer: that explains a lot. It's possible the version of Java installed on your work computer is not up to date.

My best advice is to view it from your home computer or find another site :)

Sponsored Links
Back