Do I need these walls/ceiling skimmed before painting?

Sponsored Links
Before you even think of painting you will have to wash down all walls and ceilings that have been papered to get rid of all the paste residue as this will react with you paint!

You can negate the need for washing down by priming with zinsser gardz but this is not a cheap option.

The prep needed to bring these surfaces up to a half decent level will take an age and sometimes it is better just paying the money for a re skim. I suppose it depends on how much you value your time and effort and the finish you want as to whether or not you opt for the re skim (which would be my option)! ;)

Before you even think of painting you will have to wash down all walls and ceilings that have been papered to get rid of all the paste residue as this will react with you paint!

You can negate the need for washing down by priming with zinsser gardz but this is not a cheap option.

The prep needed to bring these surfaces up to a half decent level will take an age and sometimes it is better just paying the money for a re skim. I suppose it depends on how much you value your time and effort and the finish you want as to whether or not you opt for the re skim (which would be my option)! ;)

Do I really need to wash down all the walls first? Won't the mist coat of paint do the job?

Do I really need to wash down all the walls first? Won't the mist coat of paint do the job?
if you give it all a good sand down then you wont need to wash it down

Sponsored Links
Sanding down walls with paste will keep clogging up the sand paper and may not eradicate all the paste. Washing off the paste is needed before misting as it will react with the mist coat.

Alternatively you can fill and sand and prime the walls with zinsser gardz as this will prime the walls and seal the paste in and it will not then react with subsequent paint layers.

Given the state of the walls though I think that the minimum you will need to do is to line with lining paper and if doing this it may be easier to get them skimmed.

Preparation is key and to not prep properly will show through the final paint finish and will bug you till its sorted!

If money is an issue as you have said, why not just lining paper over the lot and paint it?

If you leave a couple of MM gap between the seams, paint it then give the gap a fill with fine surface filler and sand it back then a couple of finishing coats of paint.

If money is an issue as you have said, why not just lining paper over the lot and paint it?

If you leave a couple of MM gap between the seams, paint it then give the gap a fill with fine surface filler and sand it back then a couple of finishing coats of paint.

Filling in the seams in lining paper is a last resort. If lining, butt the seams together as this is the better and correct option. Also follow the instructions on the rear of the label for correct soaking and hanging information.

John,

After looking at your pics I am of the belief that any form of prep regarding a re-paint would be both a waste of time and indeed short lived, your need here is to line with what I would determine to be 1200 grade paper. Yet at this stage that is on my part only speculation, ask your question on the decorating & painting sub forum and you will get the correct advice.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back