Is this quote ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into 3 bed semi about a month ago.
The place has been build in 1960's but nothing been touched since.
The electrics is outdated with just one socket per room and no consumer unit.
As the budget is pretty low at the moment I don't mind putting some work myself like doing the channeling and the dirty work.
I had a chap around for a quote but I felt it is too much .
Here is the breakdown :
Final Price: £5560
£840 to be taken off if supplying own materials
£500 to be taken off if wall chasing is done by client

Price Includes:

19 Double Sockets
8 Pendants
1 IP Rated Light Fitting (Bathroom)
2 6” Flu Fitting (Garage)
9 Switches
1 Pull Cord
1 4” Extractor Fan (Bathroom)
1 Cooker Point /Extractor Supply/ Junction
17th Edition Fuse Board
Gas and Water Bonding
Smoke Detector System
Full NICEIC Certification
Notification to Building Control

Do you think the price is fair ?

Sponsored Links
to even be able to begin to say (which is near impossible anyway)

need some more information

how big is the house?
how many circuits
no immersion heater?

just get 2 more sparks out to quote you, this will give you a much better idea of how reasonable this is

Sounds very expensive - you should get at least three quotes - just make sure you compare apples with apples.

Sponsored Links
to even be able to begin to say (which is near impossible anyway)

need some more information

how big is the house?
how many circuits
no immersion heater?

just get 2 more sparks out to quote you, this will give you a much better idea of how reasonable this is

The house sizes are :
8.20 m ( front to back ) x 4.85 m(side to side) = so roughly 40 square meters

As for circuits I would say probably 6-7
The immersion heater will be replaced by CH

I will definitely have another people coming in to have a look.

For Hampshire sounds about right!

No offense to you but as you are a sparkie I have the feeling that even the quote was 10 k you would probably say the same .
I bet it doesn't take him more than two weeks to do this job.After paying the tax he still probably clears 3k . The whole income for my household per whole month is less than that.

I don't understand this " for Hampshire is about right " . I think the charge should be for the amount of work being done and not for where the house is located.

Don't be nieve, more affluent areas will always be charged more, if a guy has a market rate for an area that others will pay, then that's what you get charged.

As for his quote, in North London I'd charge about that for a 4 bed Edwardian on a street with house values at £500k.

Mine would be (all double sockets) 4 for each bedroom, 6 for each recpt and kitchen, and one in each hall level. One central light per room and each hall, 4 spots in the bathroom and lighting in the kitchen TBA.

For another £500 I'd put TV, phone and data in each room.

On a £6k job about £1500 would be materials, allowing for flatplates in the kitchen, GU10 LED for spots.

So for your area I'd say he is charging too much.

Step back, you spec up each and every room, consider external lights, double switching for the halls and be as absolute as you can.

Once a spec is near final show the same spec x 3 potential suppliers and see what prices come in.

If you want to supply materials, say fittings only and allow them to sort cabling, back noxes, cu and the essential items that you wouldn't know what to buy (volume, type etc)- cable, cu, back boxes and misc items (grommets, screws, sleev, earth bonds, tube, trunking)- about £500

As for reducing cost, a back box and chase takes 15 minutes (caveat that for different structures) a DIYer could take an hour per one, so is there a saving?

Same with light switch chases, let the pros with a double grind cutter or years of bolstering experience do the job.

Finally, why not agree to clear / vacate each room for 48 hours, offer to do the making good- the easier the job the less hours it takes.

Have you been given a rough time scale? Seems a little pricey but without seeing the house (even with sizes) it's quite difficult. Is the ground floor wooden or solid concrete?

For Hampshire sounds about right!

No offense to you but as you are a sparkie I have the feeling that even the quote was 10 k you would probably say the same .
I bet it doesn't take him more than two weeks to do this job.After paying the tax he still probably clears 3k . The whole income for my household per whole month is less than that.

I don't understand this " for Hampshire is about right " . I think the charge should be for the amount of work being done and not for where the house is located.

You are free to get other quotes, and perhaps you should have done that before you come here complaining! For a 3-bed I would expect it to come in between £4K and £6K depending on the exact spec. Prices do vary from one part of the county to another, up norf prices to tend to be cheaper - that's just life. In my part of Hampshire on the border of Surrey and am busy so my prices are right for me! If things change and I find I am at home waiting for the phone to ring I will adjust prices accordingly.

As for clearing £3K don't make the laugh - I wish! There are a lot of other expenses - fuel, vehicle costs, insurances, scheme memberships, tools etc etc

LOL using Pimlico Plumbers as a guide, most expensive going by far. And they charge to get materials the vans are hardly stocked.
Last time I had a chat with one of them when doing the plumbers merchants alarms and cctv.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back