wbp ply bathroom floor???

Osb is normally coated with a waterproof layer.

Stuff I buy does anyway.

Edit.

Why does ply need to be boil proof anyway?

Sponsored Links
Builders Merchants don't usually cut board to your preferred size, but DIY sheds often do. When I had some 18mm WBP flooring laid last year (got a good deal at Wickes) they don't cut it, but we collected it in the van and I got the joiner to cut it into 8' x 2' peces which were reasonably easy to carry upstairs and sling around. If you are a bit weedy I think you will find 4' x 2' pieces even easier. With careful measurement you will have very little extra cutting to do on site. Longer pieces are more rigid and less likely to need noggins. If it's a bathroom you can probably have it cut into pieces to fit the width. A DIY shed is often, but not always, more expensive than a timber yard.

It is easier to fit if you remove the skirting first so any uneven edges will be hidden afterwards.

A jig saw is very slow and will go blunt unless you buy TCT blades.

WBP (Water and Boil-Proof) ply is just very water resistant. When it was introduced, the makers used to have it in exhibitions with a piece immersed in a tub of boiling water to show how good it was (the old casein ply would have fallen apart)

thanks john but is CE 0407CPD 436 2x EN636 2 EN314 2 Ext E2 ply okay for the job ?

thanks john but is CE 0407CPD 436 2x EN636 2 EN314 2 Ext E2 ply okay for the job ?

Sponsored Links
Personally I would advise you use only exterior grade EN 636-3, EN 636-2 is only moisture resistant.

When tiling or re-tiling, there are many things that can catch you out. With walls, you need to consider tile weights, prep & materials &, as you’re discovering. suspended timber floors need special consideration if you want to avoid early tile failure. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any more work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Personally I would advise you use only exterior grade EN 636-3, EN 636-2 is only moisture resistant.

Ah, that's useful to know! What's the difference in how it's made?

edited:
found it now

http://www.tradewood.co.uk/media/c345d690feca47abb74ee560931b1ecbPlywood Standards.pdf

you are recommending the EN 636-3 because it is a bathroom and liable to get repeatedly wet. And the old "WBP" descriptor seems to be out of date. Shame because it's so easy to understand and remember :cry:

you are recommending the EN 636-3 because it is a bathroom and liable to get repeatedly wet. And the old "WBP" descriptor seems to be out of date. Shame because it's so easy to understand and remember :cry:
Exactly; I still use “WBP” as I think it’s more meaningful to most folks than EN speak :confused: . The adhesive spec is also important for the tiling process which, in itself, involves using water based materials, you may get away with EN 636-2 but I think it’s better to be safe than sorry when tiling as failure can be very expensive. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back