Domestic Loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in 17th Ed IEE, can you run a sub RCD board from a fuse on the main RCD board. The sub board feeds a 30amp ring (single room & bathroom) and 3No lights (6amp) cable connecting both boards is 10mm twin&earth. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I don't see why not.
You will need to take voltage drop in to consideration but unless the distance is vast 10mm should be fine.
But you will not need second RCD protection at the second board as RCD protection is all ready offered at the main board, if you did have/want two modes of RCD protection a time delayed RCD would be worth considering.

I should imagine that the rcd on the main board is 30mA, it would be unwise to change this for a time delay model as it may protect other circuits. Just put a standard main switch in the sub cu. You will have the rcd protection from the main board.

Will the protective devices in the sub-board discriminate with the feeder device in the main board ? ie will you avoid losing your lights if there is a fault on the power circuit ?

Sponsored Links
If it's only two circuits in the loft conversion, why not just run the circuits back to the main CU and save all the messing about with an extra sub mains?

The two boards have been installed. Lighting and power to the loft is separate to the rest of the house. They run from a designated fuse 40amp on the main board. Loft only used for PC, TV etc. and bathroom fan. Installed not by me :( , i'm checking as an NIC IEE man wants a separate connection to the meter via Henley blocks and an armoured 16mm2 cable. Not sure if I'm being sold unnecessary works. Anyone no what the regs say?

You'll need a switchfuse in there as well.

Its a much better way of supplying the submain than a breaker on the original board... its very difficult to get MCBs to discriminate with each other

i'm checking as an NIC IEE man wants a separate connection to the meter via Henley blocks and an armoured 16mm2 cable. Not sure if I'm being sold unnecessary works. Anyone no what the regs say?
So what are you going to do?

Argue with the electrician who you need to do the work if you are to comply with the Building Regulations on the basis of opinions canvassed from anonymous strangers on the Internet?

WTF have you engaged people who you do not trust to do this loft conversion for you?

The installing contractor is independent from the checking contractor. Both appointed by the Principal Contractor who built the loft.
What about armoured cable. I don't think this is necessary as it is within the house only?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back