Domestic Bonding Gas & water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
17ed IEE Regs: Do you need two seperate 10mm2 cables or can you run one and cross bond

Sponsored Links
Because the bond should be made within 600mm of the service entering the building but after the stop tap/ gas meter. So ideally they need to be near each other.
In the case that the service are in the same directional route, it would be okay but if they are in different directions, you would use two, to save on material costs.

Sponsored Links
Does`nt matter how far apart , If using One Cable ,it should go from the MET to the 1st Service,there it should be fastened to the Earthing Clamp unbroken , Not even Crimped , then going onto the other Earth Clamp.

Lucky

unbroken , Not even Crimped ,

Got a reg number for that, LuckyP?

'twas what we were told to do by the NiC peeps, unbroken if covering both services and thus if either bond is disconnected the bond is retained for the other. If the 1st point was disconnected and was a separate cable on then no bonding to either service would exist.

'twas what we were told to do by the NiC peeps, unbroken if covering both services and thus if either bond is disconnected the bond is retained for the other. If the 1st point was disconnected and was a separate cable on then no bonding to either service would exist.
Yes, but NIC peeps not in charge.

Do IET peeps agree?

It is mentioned in guidance from the IET, don't know about the regulation though.

We have gone through this topic before, regarding continuous bonding conductor to services.
It does recommend in GN8 that the cable is continuous but there is no requirement in BS7671 for this.
I personally follow GN8 on this one.
New publication 31 May 2012, interesting to see if this recommendation remains!

Sorry for the late reply , working all day , But reading the above "Later" Posts I don`t think a Reg is quoteable or available , But commn sense certainly is :confused:

Lucky

Thanks guy's, PS, I'm not an electrician, therefore I always look for the regulations or recommendations by the approved body. Thanks again :D

Because the bond should be made within 600mm of the service entering the building but after the stop tap/ gas meter. So ideally they need to be near each other.
In the case that the service are in the same directional route, it would be okay but if they are in different directions, you would use two, to save on material costs.
me thinks you missed my point!! :LOL: surely if water is 50" from electric meter and the gas is 25' away but in the same direction then the single cable can still serve both :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back