No Internet on Windows XP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I have been given a desktop PC and have set it up in my boys bedroom , I can sign in to the PC under Admin logon and it fires up nicely and lets you go around the PC , trouble is it will open IE then load the home page for a while then eventually tell me I have no connection , when I did a diagnosis it said that it could not find a problem and that HTTP/HTTPS was being received OK but FTP firewall might be blocking connections .......As this is a old works systems , have they put something in place to stop it being used or do I have to config my LAN to the PC , I am on my laptop wireless ....... Any help on this please - many thanks

Sponsored Links
Make sure that the PC's network card is not set to a static IP address and/or the DNS settings to a local Domain Controller on the old works LAN. Initially, try setting both to Automatically Detect Settings, and see if that works. If it does not, please post back.

Thanks for reply - I am not sure what I did but it opens it now but at a very slow pace - I think I set the pc to Home rather than business in a box that I had come up while fiddling, dont ask me how ... Like I said PC is running really slow and Internet home page takes for ever to load and states " not responding " most of the time ...... Any more help please ?

As it's been used in a workplace, I would wipe it and load a fresh o/s.

Sponsored Links
How can I wipe it clean ? ........ I do have a copy of Windows 7 on a disc if thats any good ?

If this computer is connected to your router via an ethernet cable, check the cable in another computer. Had a similar problem with the G/F's computer and it was a faulty cable. Download speeds were below that expected of a 56k modem. ;) ;)

It could be that IE is configured to obtain its connection settings automatically. Open IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN settings. Make sure all tick boxes are unticked.

loaded windows seven on there and it asked me if I wanted top wipe clean all the old programs and settings , of which I did and now she runs like a dream ........

Sponsored Links
Back