ceiling skimming ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaps, you've misread my posts.

I was replying to someone elses suggestion of taping up . Interesting that you didn't jump in there, when you must have seen that as bad advice too..... ........

What I said was IF taping up, then you should put it on straight - which is not easy - and it is YOU who has the responsibilty for the tape if you want it there, not the plasterer - it may peel off paint, you may have plaster gathering etc

This is pointing out why taping up is not always good -

"Your tape may be too high, and then the plaster will go over it , or too low meaning you will have some plaster on the wall which will be doubly hard to clean as it gathers between in the little gap between tape and ceiling."

Obviously no one should do any prepping without consulting the tradesman engaged.

Of course I accept that you have limited experience in plastering ceilings in cases where the paint can be affected by the moisture etc, that's just down to the type of work you have done and is not your fault.

Likewise, you have never applied render by machine and had to tape up to protect - again not your fault, just an experience you haven't had yet.

Sponsored Links
Peaps, you've misread my posts.

I was replying to someone elses suggestion of taping up . Interesting that you didn't jump in there, when you must have seen that as bad advice too..... ........

What I said was IF taping up, then you should put it on straight - which is not easy - and it is YOU who has the responsibilty for the tape if you want it there, not the plasterer - it may peel off paint, you may have plaster gathering etc

This is pointing out why taping up is not always good -

"Your tape may be too high, and then the plaster will go over it , or too low meaning you will have some plaster on the wall which will be doubly hard to clean as it gathers between in the little gap between tape and ceiling."

Obviously no one should do any prepping without consulting the tradesman engaged.

Of course I accept that you have limited experience in plastering ceilings in cases where the paint can be affected by the moisture etc, that's just down to the type of work you have done and is not your fault.

Likewise, you have never applied render by machine and had to tape up to protect - again not your fault, just an experience you haven't had yet.

even the best plasterers will drop a little or splash water down the walls. They should clean up ok without the need for repainting. For extra care you could tape polythene to the walls to protect from any splashes

Worked in Germany many years ago, should tell you much. And have done many ceilings where the walls had paint on em. Maybe you have problems because you are used to spraying **** all over the place?

I'm a plasterer not a concreter ;)

jesus christ. The poster just asked whats the best way to protect painted walls and i told him the way i thought was best. No one asked that you machinr apply render and im pretty sure no one cares

jesus christ. The poster just asked whats the best way to protect painted walls and i told him the way i thought was best. No one asked that you machinr apply render and im pretty sure no one cares

Peaps has said he thinks the idea of taping up is **** , based on the fact that in his experience he has not had to use it .That is fair comment.

I wouln't tape up a wall for doing a ceiling myself - but giving an opinion on how to do it if needed .

I was giving examples of other applications where tape is used to show the principle of taping up crefully to aid removal.

I would not tape up, but have the caveat that the ceiling line cannot be guarateed to be 100% perfect if the paint peels etc. This can happen even while sponging off or cleaning with a brush

Can anyone here say that the OP can be 100% sure that he will not have to touch up the ceiling line?

The remarlk on concrete I'll but down to an attempt at humour, rather than Peaps actually being serious . I can't imagine he has a lack of understanding about machine spraying and the effect of coloured wet material on stonework etc

I'll leave it here for now, as anyone whose been on here for a while knows the direction this exchange has taken has nothing to do with the OP - (as I say peaps was not bothered about the orignal suggestion to tape up ,that is not the real contention)

It's really going back to when peaps was corrected on another matter ages ago. He made a mistake , as we all do from time to time, and I hurt his feelings at the time by pointing it out.

I thought leaving it be for a while would chill things out a bit, but sadly not . Apologies to the OP - I was trying to be constructive .

I hope the job goes well, just make sure you discuss everything fully with the tradesman.

Sponsored Links

Peaps has said he thinks the idea of taping up is **** , based on the fact that in his experience he has not had to use it .That is fair comment.

I wouln't tape up a wall for doing a ceiling myself - but giving an opinion on how to do it if needed .

I was giving examples of other applications where tape is used to show the principle of taping up crefully to aid removal.

I would not tape up, but have the caveat that the ceiling line cannot be guarateed to be 100% perfect if the paint peels etc. This can happen even while sponging off or cleaning with a brush

Can anyone here say that the OP can be 100% sure that he will not have to touch up the ceiling line?

The remarlk on concrete I'll but down to an attempt at humour, rather than Peaps actually being serious . I can't imagine he has a lack of understanding about machine spraying and the effect of coloured wet material on stonework etc

I'll leave it here for now, as anyone whose been on here for a while knows the direction this exchange has taken has nothing to do with the OP - (as I say peaps was not bothered about the orignal suggestion to tape up ,that is not the real contention)

It's really going back to when peaps was corrected on another matter ages ago. He made a mistake , as we all do from time to time, and I hurt his feelings at the time by pointing it out.

I thought leaving it be for a while would chill things out a bit, but sadly not . Apologies to the OP - I was trying to be constructive .

I hope the job goes well, just make sure you discuss everything fully with the tradesman.

Mmm, we are talking about taping polythene to the wall to stop the wall from getting marked. I said I have never done it and I haven't, then you went on about taping against stone and oak, depth was mentioned, then you went on about machine spraying, since we are not talking about machine spraying you point is a moot one.

Next.

Christ is this really the Plastering forum where we used to get such a good exchange of knowledge & ideas? I sometimes wonder; seems more like “General” these days with all that involves!

But then the whole of DIYnot seems to be going the same way! :rolleyes:

Christ is this really the Plastering forum where we used to get such a good exchange of knowledge & ideas? I sometimes wonder; seems more like “General” these days with all that involves!

But then the whole of DIYnot seems to be going the same way! :rolleyes:

From what I've read over the past few days you are guilty of what you accuse others :rolleyes:

From what I've read over the past few days you are guilty of what you accuse others :rolleyes:
Because I’ve become so ****ed off with what’s happening on DIYnot forums in general, I’ve made very few posts over the last week up until today & very nearly didn’t make any more at all. I may get the odd impatient moment but do not criticise with such monotonous regularity others that post an alternative view or, god forbid, actually in conflict to what you say! In spite of how good you probably are, you have been wrong on occasion (at lest one I’ve been involved with anyway) but you just won’t listen. Without doubt you are knowledgeable & have considerable experience but, IMO, your blinkered to your own view & Plastering (where I started out on DIYnot) is now a shadow of its former self because of it; like one or two others on here, you just shut everyone else down!

I invite you to highlight where you consider I’m guilty of what you accuse me of in any of my recent posts; or any of my posts for that matter. ;)

Because I’ve become so p****d off with what’s happening on DIYnot forums in general, I’ve made very few posts over the last week up until today & very nearly didn’t make any more at all. I may get the odd impatient moment but do not criticise with such monotonous regularity others that post an alternative view or, god forbid, actually in conflict to what you say! In spite of how good you probably are, you have been wrong on occasion (at lest one I’ve been involved with anyway) but you just won’t listen. Without doubt you are knowledgeable & have considerable experience but, IMO, your blinkered to your own view & Plastering (where I started out on DIYnot) is now a shadow of its former self because of it; like one or two others on here, you just shut everyone else down!

I invite you to highlight where you consider I’m guilty of what you accuse me of in any of my recent posts; or any of my posts for that matter. ;)

It's all "building site banter" mate. Nothing more nothing less.

I seem to remember you and joe had a thread locked down.....? ;)

Oh and P.S Look around this plastering forum, I don't flood the thing or reply to every thread, I post when I have an idea, if you don't like it when your view is questioned or if you don't like it when I come back when you question me then I can't help that. I make use of the GD forum to keep it off here... :D

Mmm, we are talking about taping polythene to the wall to stop the wall from getting marked. I said I have never done it and I haven't, then you went on about taping against stone and oak, depth was mentioned, then you went on about machine spraying, since we are not talking about machine spraying you point is a moot one.

Next.

Peaps- A while ago you made a post which you finished up with 'The end'

I don't know why you deleted it, as it was an excelent suggestion.Perhaps it was because you said you could not remember where we first crossed.......

dmplastering made a helpful post with a suggestion about taping polythene on , which you thanked him for. I would have thought that was the time for raising any concerns you had about it !

You also thanked him for suggesting

"just tape right into the corner then once plaster is hard, cut into the angle with a stanley. This should give you a good edge. Failing this, have you considered coving??"

Which I presume you recomnend to the OP?

I must say that when I read

"In all my 29 years of plastering I've NEVER had to use tape to mask up. I've NEVER known it to be used either."

I do realise you just may not have been on a job where it was required , (due to need to protect paint, wallpaper or untreated timber). I presume you have never had to float and set across oak door linings for example.

I consider 'Plastering' as a trade to be a bit more encompassing than just skimming ceilings .

I do understand that you only speak from your own experience but I would have thought you could have been a little more open minded about some suggestions which are based on a wider range of experiences in the trade.

Can you say from where you are that you can 100% guarantee that the paint will be fine , without looking at the job?

I didn't delete the post, admin must have.

The advice was all about a ceiling the rest is moot.

The end ;)

I seem to remember you and joe had a thread locked down.....? ;)
Joe & I have been around the same time & I never previously had any probs with him & I respect his factual posts. Despite what others often say, he is often knowledgeable accurate & factual. Much to my dismay, what I thought we had as mutual respect disappeared & he decide to troll me which I will not tolerate; you also decided to “chip in”, presumably because I had previously disagreed with you!

Oh and P.S Look around this plastering forum, I don't flood the thing or reply to every thread,
Er, look again, you dominate it; virtually nobody & few of the original plastering forum contributors can be arsed with the agro they get if they reply or dare to have a conflicting view!

I post when I have an idea, if you don't like it when your view is questioned or if you don't like it when I come back when you question me then I can't help that.
I have absolutely no problem with constructive critics, it’s you who seems to have the problem. I’ve only been in this a limited amount of time & have to deal with facts; you, on the other hand, have only your opinion which HAS to be right, despite the fact it may be based on out dated methods & materials.

I make use of the GD forum to keep it off here... :D
It might be an idea if you tone it down on the trade forums & spent more time in General to get your argumentative “fix”! As I said, I respect the fact you & a whole load of others are more knowledgeable & experienced than I am; a mere beginner at 8 years. But there are others on here who have been around DIYnot a long time & there is always the possibility they may have an equally relevant opinion as yours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back