Flue installed near to Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has installed a flue from his boiler extending from his property, across my boundary and into a passageway owned by me.

I know this is a discussion topic in itself but I shall continue.

The passageway is about 1.5m wide. There are no windows on the wall of my house above the passageway but there is a vent leading to/from an internal room of my property. It is located just above the level of the flue.

Is this a contravention building regulations? Is this a danger to me inside my property? What can/should I do about it?

A friend has mentioned to me something about a British Standard - BS5440-1. Is this a legal requirement for installations or a recommendation?

I have also read that it flues should not be installed in passageways. Is this correct? Or does this only relate to situations where windows are present and within a specified distance?

Many thanks for any and all assistance with this - I am mighty peeved at the behaviour of my neighbour and I am mighty concerned about the location of this flue that has appeared without any permission from me.

Sponsored Links
Flues can not discharge into covered passageways. There are two other potential issues here.

Is the entire passageway your property or is it shared? A flue outlet should be at least 600mm from the boundary and 2m from an opening facing the outlet.

There is also a clause in the manufacturers instructions for most boilers that the plume from the flue must not cause a nuisance.

You need to talk to your neighbour about this problem or contact building control.

I have also read that it flues should not be installed in passageways. Is this correct? Or does this only relate to situations where windows are present and within a specified distance?

SA photo woulfd help, as said. If the covered pasage way is that between 2 houses with a bedroopm above the passageway, thenthere is a clear safety implication. Fumes cn permeate through the roof of the passageway into the bedroom.

A yoing boy tragically lost his life due to this issue a couple of yesrs ago, so the rule is not to be sorned. If this IS the case, purchase a CO Aarm NOW and fit it in the room (S) above the alley. If it is your neighbours bedroom, then advise them accordingly-it is a serious matter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/4404018.stm

You could also telephone 0800 111999 and report it as a smellof fumes. National Grid will visit and bring the issue to a head.

Sponsored Links
Flues can not discharge into covered passageways. There are two other potential issues here.

Is the entire passageway your property or is it shared? A flue outlet should be at least 600mm from the boundary and 2m from an opening facing the outlet.

There is also a clause in the manufacturers instructions for most boilers that the plume from the flue must not cause a nuisance.

You need to talk to your neighbour about this problem or contact building control.

The passageway belongs solely to me. The boundary is made up of the external wall of my neighbour's property. The passageway is not covered, but I have now measured the distance from the flue outlet to the vent and it is approximately 1.5 metre distance and slightly elevated above the flue outlet.

Thank you for your help on this.

This is wrong. You should get it turned off immediately. Contact Transco if he won't. His installer should be reported to Gas Safe.

Has the neighbour installed the appliance himself or has someone done it on his behalf??

Your neighbour might have paid for the job to be done in which case he may have presumed it was all above board.
If he has installed it himself and is GSR he should have known better.
If he has installed it himself and is not GSR then he is in trouble.

The flue regardless of plum kit should not terminate on your property. What if you wished to extend into the passage was and there was a bloody great flue pluming away :rolleyes:

Probably best to hit him with the facts before getting the big boys in he might be understanding unless he is a complete t**t in which case ring Transco and get a big hole in the road dug up :D

As above, the boiler flue is not compliant.

If products of combustion are entering your property is is immediately dangerous, if not then it's at risk, either way contact an engineer to test ingress to your vent, and follow industry unsafe situations.

This may cause a big row with your neighbour, but it's better than illness or death of a family member.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back