Glow worm combi boiler 30 cxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just bought a house, 5 years old - no details left on this boiler. Was cleaning today and switched it off at the wall. When I went to switch it back on, it won't work... no lights at all, not even a warning light or fault code. Turned pressure up, checked fuse...still nothing.
Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
(Sorry if i have posted in wrong forum - new to this!)
Any help greatly appreciated as labour being induced in 2 days.....
Thanks, Allison.

Sponsored Links
Yep, all the dials are on on the front...... but the lcd display wont work....

whoops! if all fuses are good and you have a power supply to the boiler and all the controls are working and calling for heat, then it is possible the interuption of the main switch has caused a failure of the boiler PCB, but you will need to get a RGI in to test and confirm - hopefully it is something simpler ;)

Sponsored Links
whoops! if all fuses are good and you have a power supply to the boiler and all the controls are working and calling for heat, then it is possible the interuption of the main switch has caused a failure of the boiler PCB, but you will need to get a RGI in to test and confirm - hopefully it is something simpler ;)

And there is definitely power to the socket/fuse spur?

There is a fuse on the main board inside the boiler, it could be that that has blown. but chances of there being a replacement at this hour is slim as its not a regular sized fuse. After that, you will be needing to contact your installer.

And there is definitely power to the socket/fuse spur?

There is a fuse on the main board inside the boiler, it could be that that has blown. but chances of there being a replacement at this hour is slim as its not a regular sized fuse. After that, you will be needing to contact your installer.

Thanks, just been to B&Q to look for that fuse but not one there (as you said, it's an odd one), will try Wickes in the morning. As far as I can tell there is power to the socket, all the other sockets beside it are fine.....thank you so much for you help.

No point buying a fuse unless the boiler one has blown.

In any case you need to know the rating, usually 1.6 A

I expect you will need an engineer.

Have you checked the consumer unit?

Tony

wickes or any other of the sheds wont have it , its a micro fuse and you need someone who sells heating spares like city plumbing/parts centre/shoreheat/ a local stockist

wickes or any other of the sheds wont have it , its a micro fuse and you need someone who sells heating spares like city plumbing/parts centre/shoreheat/ a local stockist

OK, few places I can check tomorrow. Otherwise will be bringing a new baby home to a very cold house as won't get an RGI out that quickly!! Seems like Glow worm arent the best, have read a few posts where this has happened before and it was the pcb.....

Thanks for your help., Allison.

After changing both fuses, nothing happened. Called out British Gas Saturday and they were here that afternoon for around 2 hours checking it, said it was the PCB and would send someone first thing Monday morning and bill would be £189. All fixed now and back to normal, was advised not to switch it off at the wall in a hurry again :0)
Thanks for your help. :LOL:
Allison (and warm new baby :mrgreen: ) xx

Boilerman2";p="2344462 said:
whoops! if all fuses are good and you have a power supply to the boiler and all the controls are working and calling for heat, then it is possible the interuption of the main switch has caused a failure of the boiler PCB, but you will need to get a RGI in to test and confirm - hopefully it is something simpler ;)[/quote

You were correct ;)

I have a Glow Worm 30CXi and it was dead when be bought the house. We were quoted £300 to replace the printed circuit board.
Being an electronic engineer, I wasn't about to pay that without looking at it first, so this is what I found:

Symptom - Dead, no display and a faint ticking sound when the power is turned on or takes a long time to power up from cold. Fuse F100 is intact.

The switch mode power supply (adjacent to the fuse) is not starting up. This is caused by a faulty electrolytic capacitor C805 situated at the bottom of the PCB near to the fuse. This is a 47uF @ 50v. Be sure to obtain a 105 degree type, not a cheaper 85 degree as this will provide a much longer service life.

A suitable type is available from RS components (www.rswww.com) part number 520-1567 priced £1.50 for a pack of 5!

It may also be worth replacing C813 100uf @ 25v on the power supply secondary at the same time. This is situated at the bottom of the PCB to the left of the small transformer.

A suitable type is 519-4150 from RS priced at £1.00 per pack of 5.

Remember to isolate the boiler mains supply before touching the PCB as it is very, very live!!!

Hopefully this will save people some money :0)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back