Vauxhall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the future of general motors most productive plant in ellesmere port is decided on the 28th its up against the less produtive german factory however the german goverment fight hand and fist to keep manufacturing in their own country so R.I.P Ellesmere port because most if not all of the people in vauxhalls plant havnt come from Eton and dont have a silver spoon in their mouth so im afraid that Dave "were all in this together" wont be intrested.

Sponsored Links
Its not all doom and gloom, at least we get to build our own trains and aircraft carriers. :confused:

Sponsored Links
yep lets all moan about the government doing it while we stock our own homes with appliances from abroad because they are a better price and on the whole reliable. How many of you are using a british computer filled with british made bits to moan?

It will be a shame if it closes, but its looking very likely. Apparently in Germany the wages are subsidised in quiet times by the government, in this country any lay offs are funded by GM, I think this might be a deciding factor.

Don't forget though that with the new proposed planning rules it will be much easy to build new factories, Just what we can manufacture in them I haven't got a clue.

A big road improvement scheme to Wrexham Industrial Estate is taking place, but probably 20 years to late, the big factories are all closed and production moved abroad.

Such a shame to see all the empty factories, personally I think the lack of manufacturing in the country is a big part of the problems we are suffering. a busy factory can bring so much to a local area.

The big "money earners" seem to be the finance and leisure (football) industries in my view not a good basis for a successful country. So many football clubs running millions of pounds in debt, a disaster waiting to happen, just like the over inflated housing prices a few years ago

the German government fight hand and fist to keep manufacturing in their own country

Just to add a little balance.

Remember that when the government helps out a failing business, it does so by taking money from a successful business, or other taxpayers like yourself.

And when international companies look at setting up a company, they will look at the tax rates on offer.

There is no such thing as free money, you can argue that it's better to let them fail, and you can argue it's better to subsidize them, but it's simply silly to brand a government as uncaring or splurging money on either solution.

Such a shame to see all the empty factories, personally I think the lack of manufacturing in the country is a big part of the problems we are suffering.

Manufacturing is no longer a large employer, and never will be again in this country. The only way it will be is if our economy goes tits up.

High tech goods require few (but well educated) employers, low tech goods (and yes I include electronics) require low wage AND mobile workers, by mobile I mean workers that will live in the factories, or move 100s of miles to find work, and can be hired and fired with relative ease, something only "poor" people are willing to put up with.

As to our manufacturing

manufacturing_graph_550p.jpg

Manufacturing has been going up year on year, but now only employs approx 350 thousand people.

When we are only employing 350k people in total, we are never, ever going to employ the 2.5 million people on the dole in manufacturing jobs, unless we get rid of the minimum wage, require that people move to where the jobs are, relax employment laws, and lower national insurance and corporation tax (remember that with national insurance your employer also has to pay a larger amount than you do in your wage).

As to our manufacturing

Manufacturing has been going up year on year, but now only employs approx 350 thousand people.

I am puzzled by your chart because it does not say what units it is showing. I will guess it is some kind of monetary value rather than tons or numbers of products.

If it is a monetary value, is it adjusted for inflation?

:confused: I had a look at your source and I still can't tell if it is measuring billions of pounds, or something else, and I can't tell if it is adjusted for inflation.

Is it just that it's there and I've missed it, or is it simply not there?

Maybe the person who put it on his website copied it from somewhere else, and doesn't know.

One of the main reasons is that in trying to create a more 'flexible' workforce, the very thing that attracts foreign investors is also a big reason that they can pull out.

It is easier and cheaper to sack a British worker than a German one.

That's got pros and cons, but it is a major factor in this decision making.

As to our manufacturing

I am puzzled by your chart because it does not say what units it is showing. I will guess it is some kind of monetary value rather than tons or numbers of products.

If it is a monetary value, is it adjusted for inflation?
This the bit you missed??

..."That's from something called the Index of Production and it's a chart of the value of manufacturing output in the UK since just after WWII. It's an index and 100 is defined as the level of output in 2005"

Sponsored Links
Back