Flue proximity to window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an Alpha HE25 safety checked, and the engineer informed me that whilst the boiler itself was perfectly fine, the flue had been installed within 300mm of the top left corner of the kitchen window, and so it had failed, and suggested that even though he couldn't force me to not use the boiler, if I did he recommended I keep the kitchen windows shut for safety (which I have).

My question is, what solutions are there to rectify this? I'm close to finishing the decorating and want to get moved in asap - can the flue be 'extended' to make the gases expel outside of the 30mm limit, or does the flue need to be completely moved?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
30 mm is very close and must have been fitted by an unregistered.

It all depends on the layout inside and outside and boiler model what could e done.

A photo would help!

Tony

As requested

p1020052c.jpg

p1020053n.jpg

The more work I do on this house the more my catalogue of DIY Bodge Job/Hall of Shame increases in size with evidence of the previous owners misdemeanour's - I'll save that for a different thread though :D

Its a shame he didn't us a vertical flue kit and took it straight up. That may be an option even now, but would be costly. There may be a plume management kit available for your boiler and that would extend the flue outlet up and away from the window. You would have to check with Alpha.

Sponsored Links
I would say thats a lot more than 30mm from the window :confused: The appliance instructions will give guidance on flue terminations.

The manufacturers instructions stipulate that a 300mm distance from windows is preferred but that the terminal can be within 25mm without impacting on the appliance operation. They recommend 300mm to avoid issues surrounding condensation pluming.

Really?

So was it valid for the engineer to whack a big red sticker on the side of the boiler saying it was dangerous and shouldn't be used? I'm not au fait on Gas regulations so I'm a bit in the dark on this...

i hate to keep harping back to this but the flue position is wrong according to MIs so why do ppl insist on saying use a plume kit the plume kit is for avoiding nusiance caused by pluming.IT is not a way round MIs and regs regarding position of flues in regard to openings in buildings
peekay53

boabcelt no one is doubting the that there will be no impact on appliance operation and if the aforementioned window did not open but the window is openable and so pocs could be coming back into an opening in building
contravening the MIs so how can you say ok thats fine
peekay53

and yes maverickjesus he was quite right to put a big red sticker on your boiler and you should be grateful to him for doing it because it may well make you think before you open that window and allow pocs back into your property
peekay53

and yes maverickjesus he was quite right to put a big red sticker on your boiler and you should be grateful to him for doing it because it may well make you think before you open that window and allow pocs back into your property
peekay53

Which is exactly why I got it safety tested in the first place ;)

by the way what was the recommendation of the engineer who advised you flue position was incorrect did he not say how best to get over this problem.Seems to me he was ideally placed to find a soluton having been on site and able to weigh up alternatives
peekay53

He told me to replace literally everything, including the 'works fine' boiler, which is why I sought more opinions. I've never used this engineer before as it is a new area, so I don't have a trusted guy to work with (yet).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back