Thermostatic bar shower mixer leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

following my lack of hot water pressure and newly replaced nrv, i decided to update my bar mixer as the old one was looking rather tired.

However, having had the thing on and off the wall about 5 times, i cannot get it to stop weeking completely.

I have used lots of ptfe on the offset connectors but the hot has to be backed off to line up with the cold and now it will weep from behind the chrome plate.

Also, i have filters that sit inside the end of the offset connectors but the instructions also say to use the supplied washer/ filters inside each inlet on the mixer. When i do this there is no way i can get the thread to go on enough to stop the cold spraying everywhere. I noticed that the old bar didnt have a seperate washer inside the inlets either.

I would appreciate any advice and a link (if poss) to the best washers to use inside the mixer inlets please?

Many thanks

Sunil

Sponsored Links
The backing-off which produces a leak problem - Forget ptfe, Loctite 55 "string" is much better. You can smother it in LS-X (silicone), You'll get a lot of people saying it's not necessary, but it works. Get it tight while it's still sticky, and leave it half an hour before putting the water on.

Washers - most of this sort of plumbing gear is appallingly badly thrown together. Nothing fits anything very well. If you have to leave washers out, so be it. I can't say I remember the filters doing much good, or debris doing much bad. The better filters have decent rubber rings as washers, built in, but most of them aren't much good.

Get what you can in there, covered in LS-X.
Depressing, isn't it.

thanks fella, i have ordered some loctite 55 from fleabay (why does it seem out of stock most normal places) and will source some ls-x.

i wish i had never touched the bloody thing lol (i am no handyman or plumber!) :oops:

actually,, sorry to clarify, do i put the string on first and then the ls-x?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. Try it "dry" to find out how much 55 string you need.
If you have trouble getting it to grip - as you may have very few, shiny chrome threads to play with, roughen the bottom of the Vs and the crests of the thread with a fine saw, or a penknife. They say make a random "wind" but you can follow the threads if it's easier.
It's brill stuff, it goes nice and tight without binding and you can back off the fitting without it leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back