Interior door locks - what do you call this piece?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owner has made a bit of a pig's ear fitting door locks to some of the interior bedrooms. Think his chisel was a screwdriver. Anyway, the thin "striker" plate that the latch and the lock locate into, where he had a bad fit, he has just sawn out the metal between the two recesses. I want to replace these and refit everything properly. I don't want to buy new locks as these are fine - just the plates they lock and latch into. Can I buy these seperately, or are they only sold with the complete locks?

And what is the proper name for them?

Sponsored Links
Can I buy these seperately, or are they only sold with the complete locks?

And what is the proper name for them?
Normally the keeper (or box keep) is specific to the lock - every manufacurer seems to have different ideas on the exact size. If you know the lock make and model an architectural ironmonger may be able to assist, but I wouldn't hold out much hope

Thanks for that - I thought they'd have a name :) I'll see if I can find out who makes the locks and approach them directly now that I know the name of the part.

Thanks for the advice,

Simon

also called a staple.

IME a lot of them are much the same so you will probably find one near enough.

It is actually a lock (operated by a key) or just a latch (operated by a knob or lever handle)? Is it morticed?

can you post some pics?

Sponsored Links
Take the "butchered" one to a local locksmiths.
Even better take a lock, or just the "Faceplate" if it is removable.
Failing that the butchered item and a photo on your phone.
They will have a box of bits and bobs.

Might be able to pick up at local boot sales, I have a draw full of them I collected over the years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back