Shower drop switch...wire damaged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The shower drop switch needed replacing last year, 2 years after the original was fitted. I got an electrician to change it.

This morning the new shower drop switch has stopped working again. I thought this time I would swap it myself. Before I started I noticed the red/live is showing some slight heat damage (sheathing looks a little heat deformed) and blackness on the copper wiring?

Could this mean there is more of a fault than just the switch, and maybe the reason why the switch keeps needing replacement?

Thanks in advance for any answers

Sponsored Links
Possible but I wouldn't think so.

Most likely cause is a loose terminal.
You need to cut it back to undamaged 'fresh, shiny' copper and use a new switch as the terminals may be burnt and/or weakened.

Perhaps the 'electrician' did not do this last time.
Unlikely, but you never know.

The terminals are usually awkward to access so make sure they are really tight.

Thanks for that.

Could I just ask as I seem to be going through alot of these pull switches when the new one is fitted can I just leave it on all the time?....the shower does switch off at the unit itself after all

Sponsored Links
I don't see why not, I leave mine on all the time, in my view its there for isolation, ie for maintenance, repair etc, same with cooker switches etc IMO.
The only time i turn mine off is when I go away, I also isolate all my outside sockets, reducing the risk of water getting into anything causing RCD trips.

If the terminal screws aren't done up tight it will still overheat, melt the insulation etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back