Compression stop ends

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How reliable are these?

I fitted these to some old pipework after I removed a basin from a bedroom. I took a couple of floor boards up and used compression stop ends. No leaks or weeping.

Had another look 2 days later and again there is no leaks. Will this be OK? As it is under the floor so wont notice if it is leaking.

As its not leaking now, can I assume that they wont ever leak?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Be aware that for gas we are not even allowed to use compression fittings under a floor!

But the consequences of a gas leak under a floor can be more serious than just a water leak!

Tony

its just water pipe. Its not my house. I was ding some DIY for someone at work. Do you think its best to go back and solder on some caps? Wont I have problems with water in the pipe though?

Sponsored Links
No I dont. But for him to sue me he has to prove that I acted negligibly which I haven't.

So best to solder then? How reliable are compression stop ends? No leaks after 48 hours is good right?

Plumbers have such a bad reputation that any work done by a plumber which caused a leak would need no more proof than that the leak occured!

But then you are not even a qualified plumber!

ffs, whats with all the grief, its capped, its not leaking, it will be fine for the remainder of our lifetimes!

if no assumptions were made we would all be running around our installs forever more checking things to see if they are still ok, we have all seen 40 year old compression fittings that have never leaked.

Unable to blank as short as possible as runs go right under floor and couldnt access it. I reckon theres still about 10 meters of copper left down there. I took up about 8 meters. Ive advised him to get this taken up when he brings up carpets and sands down floor. Which he sahould do within the next 6 months.

How long does Legionaires take to form?

Im pretty sure that the water wont becoem stagnant as it will be withdrawn from various outlets around the house and this would suck water out of the dead leg and replace it with new water. Is that right? The dead legs are upstairs and the bathroom is downstairs.

I also advised that the only water they should drink is the water form kitchen sink as when I went into there loft the cold water tank had a polystyrene lid on it and the water was full of little polystyrene balls, amongst other things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back