How do I cut a 45 degree internal mitre?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of re-instating picture rail into a downstairs room. However, between the two walls there is a "flat" and an angle of 45 degrees. I cannot figure out how to cut correctly. I have done pretty well with the 90s and externals round the c/breast, but this small angle and then onto a flat beats me!! Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
its called a scribe,not a mitre.
butt 1 length to the wall,cut a 45(mitre)on the other piece then CAREFULLY cut the mitre out following the contours of your moulding,hopefully you understand what im trying to say :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info bud, but no, I cant grasp what you describe. Its one of those things you need to be shown really. No worries as I will get someone in to finish it off and show me how its done! I hated woodwork when I was at school, and I hate it now. Thanks again for your help.

you need to cut a compound mitre,when you do this you can see the outline of the moulding.using a coping saw/jigsaw you then follow the line of the moulding,this then should be a perfect fit onto the piece you have allready fixed to the wall.this is called a scribe.hows that? ;)

Sponsored Links
Are you painting it after? If so, just do two 45s, fill in any gap then paint.

Or learn to do it properly with the scribing method - very easy really.

Sorry to hijack, but on the topic of mitre'ing vs scribing, why is the latter used for internals?

When we bought our current house (not new build), they had mitre'd the internals for skirting and picture rail in one room, yet when we've re-done each room the chippy has scribed them.

The one room had oggy (the rest was the really small stuff) and we have replaced everywhere else with oggy so it all matches.

Sorry to hijack, but on the topic of mitre'ing vs scribing, why is the latter used for internals?

Wood is a natural product and is prone to movement. However , it only really shrinks across the grain i.e. it will shrink in the demension between the wall and the face farest from the wall. If the joint is mitred then you will have two pieces of timber shrinking away from each other resulting in a larger gap than if the joint is scribed and only has one piece with any visible movement. The piece with the scribe on can move till the cows come home and it won't show a gap.
Well that's what I was always taught anyhoo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back