Changing from Front Page 2003 to Dreamweaver MX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was always told Dreamweaver was the better program but since all I used front page for was as a handy checker when I entered code I was not really worried.

However I want to make a page with auto changing images and text changing to match. With Front page I added javascript and I got auto changing images http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/cng1.html but to match the text the only way was to make a picture containing the text. Not really ideal.

I have found many programs to auto-write javascript but they stipulate where the images should be and in some cases what they are called. However with just 15Mb of space I can't really store pictures in my web space. I have used a number of sites which allow one to store images.

As a result all the auto programs tend to fail. Many years ago I got a copy of Dreamweaver MX so thought I would try it. At first it seemed great the coloured text was much easier to follow.

However once I tried to use it I was quickly lost and it refused point blank to even register many of the Front Page web pages and completely stalled. I had to do a hard reset on PC could not even close the program using control Alt and delete.

It seems I am going backwards not forwards and as to understanding javascript I am still in the clouds. I am told the whole idea of Java is to copy and paste chunks of code but although I have books on Java I don't have any books on Java script.

So pointers please. I realise no one is going to tell me exactly how to do it but google has not helped. I know with electrics we have a wiki section is there something similar for Java?

Sponsored Links
Well I continued to try and use Dreamweaver. It had a pre-set which allowed one to build a series of pages each with three pictures. Looked great. So I copied and pasted the location of thumbnails and linked to main picture saved and tested and failure.

I had to reopen in notebook and change the location back to the correct one the Dreamweaver program it seemed had changed the location on saving.

Just can't see the point in using Dreamweaver if I then have to reopen in note book I may as well write from scratch. Sure there must be some setting I can change to make it user friendly can anyone give me some pointers please.

Unfortunatly whilst Dreamweaver is a good piece of software there is a learning curve associated with it.

Dreamweaver MX is also now over 10 years old and probably cannot cope with modern standards either as it is designed long before they were introduced.

However with just 15Mb of space I can't really store pictures in my web space.
With the price of hosting being so low why not get a proper hosting account and do the job properly.

You seem to intermix references to Java and Javascript. Two totally diferent entities.

Google 'javascript tutorials' and there are loads on the internet free ranging from beginner standard to advanced.

Trust me you will not learn anything in an instance takes a little perseverence!

I have continued with Dreamweaver MX and yes starting to get use to it. I have now found a good tutorial here and I have managed to do near enough what I want so I have text and pictures in synchronisation my practice attempt here still needs a lot of work but going down the right lines.

As to Java and Javascript yes I know they are different I did a while ago play with netbeans and Java and so did my wife so had some books on Java but nothing on Javascript. My HTML book is even older it says now includes IE5.5 2001 I think but it still helps and when not reading makes a good door stop makes complete works of Shakespeare look small.

If or when I get a new job then maybe I will get some web space but at the moment what I have will just have to do. Anyway thanks for help. Now down to the long haul job of selecting images and writing some meaning full text to go with them. Now I have the building blocks all that's left is to build the page.

What I would like is to be able to click on the small picture and get it to then show full web sized image not finished reading the tutorial maybe it will tell me how?

All best Eric

Sponsored Links
I use 000webhost, free and you get 1500Mb of space, never had a problem yet.
I think you might want to google lightbox, ie click a small image on your page, darkens the screen and zooms a large version to you.

Cant remember how I did it, but IIRC the code is all online, with instructions on what code to change for which parameters. (ie size, how much the page darkens etc.

Eric looking at the source code on your testing page it is obvious you are using outdated methods with everything contained within layout tables, which is the way old Dreamweaver software works, and trying to set attributes for different text etc within the body of the page.

I would suggest you start to read a few uptodate HTML books and also those covering CSS. The basic idea is that content is seperated from the actual layout information making it much easier to change individual details.

As said above (timtheenchanter) hosting is cheap these days. An alternative to 'Lightbox' is 'Fancybox' which is what I use on my own site. Both of these do involve a bit of a learning curve to produce the best effects.

I would also suggest, with your current level of html & css, that you use one of the various free site-builder sites out there on the web however if you are wanting to continue using the methods you are currently using I would be inclined to suggest you use a bit of image manipulation software, again some is free, and effectivly combine the picture image and text images to form a composite single image.

This way you can use your existing slideshow javascript to change the actual image displayed within your web page. Image and text will obviously stay in sync this way.

I did not give up. And I now have progressed slightly although a long way to go. My last page here does in the main keep picture with text. Advancing supper fast can cause problems but at any normal rate seems to work. Tested in firefox and IE only I have no intention of getting Chrome, Safari, IceWeasel just to test my web page. IE is only version 6 so if it works in that I should be OK will rest.

I have not ignored what you all have said and do intend to start using one of the free hosting sites. I did use 50megs if I can remember password I suppose I still have.

Thank you all for your help.

IE is only version 6 so if it works in that I should be OK will rest.
Sorry but if you believe that then you are on cloud 9!!

Remember you may only have IE6 but what have yiur hoped for visitors got?

From my own site analytics for today of the 94 visitors were using IE and of these
IE.8 - 45
IE.9 - 34
IE.7 - 12
IE.6 - 3

IE6 will not correctly display sites using modern HTML5 coding and it has its own way, different from other browsers, ways of rendering sites so what displays in IE6 how you want your site to look it is no guarantee your site will display in the same way with other browsers.

Thank you point taken. I have got to the point where I wonder if worth using any web developing tool! I designed my page and saved to hard drive seemed to work OK. Up-loaded and it failed.

http://gw7mgw.freeiz.com/MoldCameraClubOuting.html

Was page in question. On inspection I found <P> added which stopped the <span> working and loads of extra <font size="5"> added. The main thing it added an extra bit here src="script/slider2.js" in front of the script which resulted in it all working on hard drive but failed on up-load.

This time using Front Page since spell check is better. Slowly coming to conclusion that notepad is likely the best to write with it does not do anything sneaky while one is not looking.

Sponsored Links
Back