Cheap 6" inline bathroom fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need an inline bathroom fan, which from the tlc calculator needs to be about 400/500m^3/hour most of which appear to be 6inch diameter.

On tlc there are around £150 or more, screwfix down to about £80 but on ebay there are 6" bathroom or hydroponics fans for more like £40 which appear attractive as im skint, and not planning to be in the house more than 5 years.

Something like the six in version of this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vents-TT-..._PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&var=&hash=item2c61dadecb

Has anyone here bought or fitted a similarly priced fan? Anything I should look out for?

Daniel

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well clearly, but then again £150 is a hell of a lot, could could buy multiple of the cheaper units...

Sponsored Links
Going to be replacing my useless wall fan at some point - will be looking at fans which on paper, before any losses are taken into account, will do 50-80 air changes per hour. TLC calculator says 15-20 per hour.

Maybe the OP should be looking at a 1250-2000m³ per hour fan.....

Hydroponic-Grow-Room-Tent-Extractor-Fan
Some grow rooms have very short life times before they are closed down. This item may be a very poor quality item, short life time and disposable ( or abandonable ) suited to that type of grow room.

.....im skint,....
maybe you'll have an influx of cash in about 8-12 weeks?
and not planning to be in the house more than 5 years.
depending on your local constabulary, you may not be in any house where you have the ability to lock/unlock the doors yourself for quite some time to come.....

Nice one...
;) ;) ;) My thoughts exactly! :mrgreen:

"Has anyone here bought or fitted a similarly priced fan? Anything I should look out for?"
...Flashing lights and sirens?

You must have one heck of a big bathroom.

What are the dimensions?
I did measure it, but off the top of my head it about 3.5*4.5m and standard height. The bathroom was moved upstairs into one of the bedrooms by the previous owner to make the kitchen bigger.

Plus I dont want to have the noise of a fan going if its not actaully shifting a decent amount of air.

Not all hydroponic installations are illegal!

Daniel

"Not all hydroponic installations are illegal!"

not only that....even trying to find out the basic differences between "hydroponic" and "normal" in line fans is apparently taboo - try to google and find out...there is nothing about - why?
Will the "talebans" running this forum stop deleting sensible threads please? I was just trying to find out (what's wrong with ya?!)

Who knows, blast from the past this thread. I ended up buying the £20 one in the end as the ebay seller was the cheapest I could find for the ducting so I had already paid for most of the postage.

If im honest, its not the greatest fan, what would you expect, and I would prefer it to move more air. However, it does work, improve the bath room, move more air than most wall mounted 4inch fans, has an adjustable timer that will do about 2mins to a hour (ive got it on about 20minutes) and so far 6months in it still works.

Daniel

even trying to find out the basic differences between "hydroponic" and "normal" in line fans is apparently taboo
Hydroponic means 'the cultivation of plants in liquid nutrients rather than soil'.

I suspect it is somewhat difficult to produce fans by this process.

even trying to find out the basic differences between "hydroponic" and "normal" in line fans is apparently taboo
Hydroponic means 'the cultivation of plants in liquid nutrients rather than soil'.

I suspect it is somewhat difficult to produce fans by this process.

OK, I try again....
What's the difference between so called "hydroponic" fans and in line fans for e.g. a bathroom?! I'm tempted to save a bit of cash by buying an "hydroponic" (for a bathroom) which presents the same technical performance of a so labeled "bathroom" in line fan....oh, these also have the same model number (same make)....the major difference? Price - in this instance the hydroponic costs less - if anything, the hydroponic should have more bits: a carbon filter - chuck that out and you'll get the exact match.
Now, it seems to me it's all about marketing labels.....challenge that if you could (thanks).

Here's a plan.

Contact a couple of established mainstream fan makers, Xpelair, Manrose etc, and ask them what features/build quality etc their fans have which make them better than hydroponic-market ones.

At the same time, contact a couple of hydroponic makers and ask them what features/build quality etc they have sacrificed in order for them to be cheaper than the likes of Xpelair, Manrose...

Then go and buy a Soler & Palau TD500.... :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back