Garden Buildings near boundaries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping for some clarification regarding positioning of garden buildings in relation to boundaries.

The Planning Portal states ....

"Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse."

It seems clear that a single pitched building could be positioned with its 3m high end on the 2m line, and indeed a dual pitch building could be placed with its 4m high gable along the 2m line. Equally it suggests a 2.49m high (max) Pent roofed building could be placed close to the boundary.

What isn't clear to me here is whether a pitched roof building can be placed closer than 2m to the boundary so long as the point where the pitch exceeds 2.5m is outside the 2m line?

Is the second paragraph quoted above saying "if any part of the building is within 2m of the boundary then the whole building must be less than 2.5m high" or is it saying "any portion of a building within 2m of the boundary must be less than 2.5m high, but beyond the 2m line it can be higher" ?

I think the second option is more logical given the other examples (the pent shed especially) that are allowed but I wanted to check as, to me, it seemed ambiguous and I didn't want to fall foul of the regulations in any way.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Freddy, don't want to start an argument but I think the part I quoted from the Planning Portal could be interpreted in either way I describe so therefore it is ambiguous, to me at least.

So you are saying, for example, a 2.7m high summerhouse with pitched roof can be placed closer than 2m to the boundary so long as the part of the roof that is above 2.5m is more than 2m from the boundary?

On the image below Option B is OK?

it doesn't matter for this excersise you assume the building is a cube thus the ridge height will =wall height

Sponsored Links
Pay the £150 for PP and get a 3m high building, you can do the plans yourself using a CAD package, but ask Planning dept first if they will accept them.

Pay the £150 for PP and get a 3m high building, you can do the plans yourself using a CAD package, but ask Planning dept first if they will accept them.

That's what I'm doing. I had a quick chat with the duty planner who said maybe it'd be OK, suggested a couple of tweaks. If it gets refused then I'll be £170 down and I'll build the same building with a flat roof.

The planning fee should be £150, not £170. You may be getting mixed up with the fee for non-domestic alterations.

That's what I'm doing. I had a quick chat with the duty planner who said maybe it'd be OK, suggested a couple of tweaks. If it gets refused then I'll be £170 down and I'll build the same building with a flat roof.

Pre-app advice if free, just do what the Planning Officer suggests for your £150 application

Not all LPA's offer "free" pre-application advice.

Where I live it is free to residents, but not businesses. Mind you, I had to submit pre-app plans before they would speak to me.

I too have been having this problem... what can you build without permission next to a boundary.

the planning dept is useless, leaving you swimming in treacle and not answering questions... pre-advice may be meant to be free but it isn't in chorley lancs.... the old boss always answered simply and by return.. nowadays they ignore you.

I looked at all info available and got totally confused then read the pdf mentioned earlier...

SIMPLES.... if built next to a boundary ALL of the building must be under 2.5mtrs from surrounding land height to MAXIMUM height at ANY POINT of the building NO MATTER how far from the boudary it is.

it must also be under 30sq mtr and built of "substantially" fireproof materials.

ie built of steel / concrete / brick and mortar with or without a timber frame... the roof CAN be built-up roofing felt (NOT simple nailed on shed roofing felt (its not thick enough unless layered felt with bitumen "glue" between layers))

this information would have saved years of trying to find out and is easy to comply with.

over 30 sq mtr or any part over 2.5 mtr or attached to house needs permission UNLESS entire building is unattached and more than 2 mtrs from boundary.

I too have been having this problem... what can you build without permission next to a boundary.

the planning dept is useless, leaving you swimming in treacle and not answering questions... pre-advice may be meant to be free but it isn't in chorley lancs.... the old boss always answered simply and by return.. nowadays they ignore you.

I looked at all info available and got totally confused then read the pdf mentioned earlier...

SIMPLES.... if built next to a boundary ALL of the building must be under 2.5mtrs from surrounding land height to MAXIMUM height at ANY POINT of the building NO MATTER how far from the boudary it is.

it must also be under 30sq mtr and built of "substantially" fireproof materials.

ie built of steel / concrete / brick and mortar with or without a timber frame... the roof CAN be built-up roofing felt (NOT simple nailed on shed roofing felt (its not thick enough unless layered felt with bitumen "glue" between layers))

this information would have saved years of trying to find out and is easy to comply with.

over 30 sq mtr or any part over 2.5 mtr or attached to house needs permission UNLESS entire building is unattached and more than 2 mtrs from boundary.

Not quite. Over 30m2 does not automatically mean you need planning permission, but it does mean you need building control approval

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back