Extending A Circuit When Rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm carrying out a rewire of my property - as I'm doing the work in stages (mainly room by room) it means alot of trips out for my BCO as he can't just do a single first fix visit and then 2nd fix and inspection of my tests (which he has already specified is how he wants to do it).

Special locations aside, is there anything to stop me wiring a single socket to a room as a RFC, carrying out test and inspection, getting it signed off, then adding sockets as and where I see fit closer to the time (in accordance with the regs) when I move onto that room?

I get the feeling I can't, but since the addition of socket outlets isn't notifiable I'm not sure why....

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
To clarify, tests and retests would still be carried out, and MWC would be issued, only the final notification stage wouldn't happen.

Firstly it depends on what the room is - if it is a kitchen then the work will be notifiable.
If it is a non notifiable area then you don't need to notify addition of sockets - the only down side is you may find it a lot more work and be more awkward to extend a ring as opposed to doing it all in one shot.

Thanks Spark,

Yes, I'm thinking specifically of lounge and bedrooms.

I'm just not sure the BCO would be happy signing off an install with only a single socket in each room - but if there is no reason for him not to then I guess it doesn't really matter...

Sponsored Links
Don't see any legal reason why not, I think Scottish building regs have something about the amount of sockets in a room but the England/Wales ones don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back